What would make a Rooster Crow at Night?

Eagleman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
New Mexico
Last night, about an hour or more after dark and after the chickens had been peacefully roosting the rooster started crowing inside the coop. I went and checked on them and they were all just sitting quietly and there didn't seem to be any obvious disturbance and no predators or other animals in the (secure) run...

Any ideas on what would make the rooster crow at night in the coop like that? Is it just one of those random chicken things?

When my roo was a bit younger (16 weeks, maybe) he started crowing at 2:30am nearly every night. He must have gotten himself on a schedule though, because he's slowly come around to crowing at 6:30 instead.

Ahh...he is about 18 or 19 weeks old so maybe it is hormones? Up to this point he has been quiet all night first crowing at about 6:30 am.

The roof of my coop has a clear plastic panel. (this way I didn't have to run elect out there for the winter to have light) We have no street lights out here so it gets really dark. When it's a full moon the sky can really light up especially when the moon is low in the sky. I have a 7month rooster that will crow/howl at the moon!!
lau.gif

The crow is their way to let hens know where they are..I'd guess hormones too. My older boys crow in the dark early in the morning tho too, so who knows. I think they just like how they sound. I don't know how many more hens they think they need. LOL

Jody

Last edited:
One of mine started crowing around 2:30am and we had to find him a new home. The other one will once in a while crow around 4:30 about 6 times then quit. Once I heard a hen cackling that "an egg! I laid an egg!" cackle and he crowed right after that. It was about 5 am that time. I think if he hears a noise it might set him off but I really don't know.

Last edited:
I saw a commercial about sleep medication. It's the middle of the night. The wife tells the husband to take the meds because he'll sleep better than . . . (a rooster on the window sill crows and falls off) . . . he'll sleep like he did before the rooster went blind.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom