What would steal an egg AND a golf ball?

it might be to late in the year for snakes, but that is the only thing i have ever had to do the same thing, other than a kid, if it was a snake he ate his last one, he wont be back, keep us posted.

I still haven't discovered the culprit. However, I moved the nest boxes from the floor and mounted them on the wall and set up a rat trap(no takers yet) and several mouse traps. I don't like to think we have rats, but never say never. If anything happens I'll let you know. This might just go down as an Unsolved Mystery.

This spring I 'lost' two wooden eggs.. Found them later that week--they had been kicked out of the nest box and I found them about 6ft from the box under about 5" of shavings... check your floor...

Quote:
Mine do the same every time and it is always the same nest box no matter how many times I put it back I got out the next day and itsa gone agin rolled clear acroos the coop or buryed in the shavings it is weird but check your shavings I bet you find both of them in there.

Good luck to you

I had a golf ball go missing from a nest box for ages, then one day it turned up bitten in half, only found one half though, then found a hole where mice ( or rats ) were getting in, so blocked up the holes with filler, so that could be whats getting into your coop.

I recently watched a TV show where a family was having all of their golf balls stolen from their yard. They set up a camera, and it turned out to be a fox. It didn't matter how many golf balls they put out everyday, the fox would come through and take them each night. If you had a fox it would probably be killing your chickens too though.

I also agree with the thought that it might be a packrat. I have had several of these, and they take very odd things. I once had some chicks disappear, and when I found the packrat's nest he had put all of the chicks' heads in one pile, and their bodies in another. It was really gross. To catch a packrat you can use a mouse trap, but use something shinny to lure them in, not cheese like with mice.

Back
Top Bottom