What Would Their Chicks Look Like? (#3)

Screenshot_20240407-094202_Textra.jpg

Three of the chicks have hatched! Two Quartz chicks and one Ruby chick. I thought Ruby's chicks would inherit a lot of her appearance, but the one Ruby chick hatched looks like Jasper when he was a chick-chipmunk pattern!

Three of the chicks have hatched! Two Quartz chicks and one Ruby chick. I thought Ruby's chicks would inherit a lot of her appearance, but the one Ruby chick hatched looks like Jasper when he was a chick-chipmunk pattern!
I don't see Ruby's breed or color mentioned in this thread. What is she?

For the chicks from Quartz the Silver Sebright, can you see whether they are gold (female) or silver (male)? Or do they have too much black or other confusing coloring?

Last edited:
I don't see Ruby's breed or color mentioned in this thread. What is she?
Sorry! Ruby is a Rhode Island Red Bantam hen. Here she is! She was reddish-brown when she was a chick. She also mated with Jasper, since that is the only rooster in the Gemstone Flock pen.
20240215_175836.jpg

For the chicks from Quarts the Silver Sebright, can you see whether they are gold (female) or silver (male)? Or do they have too much black or other confusing coloring?
Both of the Quartz chicks have mainly black plumage, which surprised me when they came out. One has a silver face, and one has a mask that is more tinged with gold than silver. I assume the one with the silver mask is a cockerel, and the one with the gold mask is a pullet?

Sorry! Ruby is a Rhode Island Red Bantam hen. Here she is! She was reddish-brown when she was a chick. She also mated with Jasper, since that is the only rooster in the Gemstone Flock pen.
In that case, I'm not really surprised that their chick came out with stripes. I think that is pretty common with a cross like that.

Both of the Quartz chicks have mainly black plumage, which surprised me when they came out. One has a silver face, and one has a mask that is more tinged with gold than silver. I assume the one with the silver mask is a cockerel, and the one with the gold mask is a pullet?
Yes, that sounds right to me.

That is something that can be difficult about sexlinks: you don't just need the main genes correct in the parents (gold father, silver mother), you also need to be able to see the differences (which can be really hard when they have so much black!)

All of Quartz's chicks have rose comb, so I take it that Quartz has two copies of the rose comb gene. Are Sebrights supposed to be homozygous for that gene or heterozygous?

(Sorry for all of the questions, I am still interested in this genetics information!)

All of Quartz's chicks have rose comb, so I take it that Quartz has two copies of the rose comb gene. Are Sebrights supposed to be homozygous for that gene or heterozygous?

(Sorry for all of the questions, I am still interested in this genetics information!)
Ideally, Sebrights would all be homozygous for the rose comb gene.

In practice, they often are heterozygous (because it's too much bother to cull out the heterozygotes, and/or because homozygous males can be less fertile than heterozygous males.)

For purposes like showing, it doesn't matter whether they are homozygous or heterozygous, as long as they look right.

And yes, if Quartz has produced a reasonable number of rose-comb chicks when the chicks' fathers did not have the rose comb gene, and no chicks that lack rose comb, then Quartz is probably homozygous for rose comb.

Henny feathering is autosomal and dominant from my understanding, so chicks of either sex should inherit it from her if she has it. However, hatchery Sebrights often lack the gene or are not pure for it, so you may or may not see it in her offspring.

Back
Top Bottom