What Would Their Chicks Look Like? (#3)

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
If I bred these two together, what appearance would their offspring have? Jasper is my Old English Game Bantam mixed cockerel, and Quartz is my Silver Sebright pullet.

Screenshot_20240228-122757_Textra.jpg

Screenshot_20240228-122628_Textra.jpg

Screenshot_20240228-122630_Textra.jpg

@NatJ
@Amer
@pipdzipdnreadytogo

@SwampQueenChick

Last edited:
If I bred these two together, what appearance would their offspring have?
I believe they'll be sex linked offspring at hatch with pullet chicks being gold and cockerel chicks being silver.

They should have rose combs.. if any are straight then the hen is heterozygous. (for rose comb)

Sorry I don't have more information.. and also please wait for or get verification, as I'm quite novice to genetics and my memory is spotty.. but still enjoy the practice.

Now I see you already tagged some heavy hitters.. I always look forward to the replies!

I believe they'll be sex linked offspring at hatch with pullet chicks being gold and cockerel chicks being silver.

They should have rose combs.. if any are straight then the hen is heterozygous. (for rose comb)

Sorry I don't have more information.. and also please wait for or get verification, as I'm quite novice to genetics and my memory is spotty.. but still enjoy the practice.

Now I see you already tagged some heavy hitters.. I always look forward to the replies!
Thank you, that would be awesome to know their gender at hatch!

Yes, they would be sexlinked (golden males that look silvery at hatch, gold females) and have rose combs, assuming your Sebright is pure for that trait. Sometimes Sebrights carry a recessive gene for not-rose combs, so it's possible some of their offspring will have single combs as well if that is the case.

You should see incomplete lacing in the plumage of all of the offspring, similar to the pictures above. The females should be a gold sort of color, but the males should be more whitish-yellow.

Should make for some very pretty birds!

Pattern would look like these Red JungleFowl/Golden Sebright cross cockerels.
Incomplete Laced, half Spangled.
View attachment 3759469View attachment 3759472
Yes, they would be sexlinked (golden males that look silvery at hatch, gold females) and have rose combs, assuming your Sebright is pure for that trait. Sometimes Sebrights carry a recessive gene for not-rose combs, so it's possible some of their offspring will have single combs as well if that is the case.

You should see incomplete lacing in the plumage of all of the offspring, similar to the pictures above. The females should be a gold sort of color, but the males should be more whitish-yellow.

Should make for some very pretty birds!
Thank you both! Yes, Quartz does have rose comb, but it is rather small. The picture in the post was when she was younger, her comb had developed more since then.

Yes, she does appear to have a rose comb! The rose comb gene is completely dominant, so even if a bird has a rose comb, it's possible for that bird to be split to single comb and thus possibly throw the gene for single combs in its offspring with a single-combed mate. This is happens quite a bit in both Sebrights and Wyandottes. 🙂

Yes, she does appear to have a rose comb! The rose comb gene is completely dominant, so even if a bird has a rose comb, it's possible for that bird to be split to single comb and thus possibly throw the gene for single combs in its offspring with a single-combed mate. This is happens quite a bit in both Sebrights and Wyandottes. 🙂
Interesting! Does that mean some of the offspring of Jasper and Quartz would have rose combs, while the others would have single combs?

Interesting! Does that mean some of the offspring of Jasper and Quartz would have rose combs, while the others would have single combs?
Maybe, maybe not.

If the Sebright has one gene for rose comb and one for not-rose comb, then half the chicks will have rose combs and half will have single combs.

If the Sebright has two genes for rose comb, all the chicks will have rose combs.

We just cannot tell by looking, whether that Sebright has one gene or two genes for rose comb. So you won't know for sure until you hatch some chicks.

Back
Top Bottom