What Would You Do? Advice/Options/Similar Stories

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here since pre-covid! It's great to be back!

Here's my question: I have been keeping chickens for about 17 years now and I'm down to my three little musketeers who live in an aviary in my house. They are all bantams (two hens and a roo), and the little ladies are quite old. Due to life circumstances that are beyond my control, I will have to be out of the country for very long periods of time for the foreseeable future. Obviously, I want to make sure that my babies are safe and happy while I'm gone.
I would prefer to pay to board them long term at someone's house like you would a cat or a dog, but of course there aren't a lot of people who are as comfortable as I am having chickens, much less a rooster, in their house. Outside full-time isn't an option because they can't handle the cold temperatures, and frankly they are house pets - it would be the same as putting a pampered lap dog out in a kennel full-time. (I see you broiler-keepers rolling your eyes, don't come for me😂)
My other option is to give them away to a good home. It would absolutely kill me to do that, since these are my babies and I don't want to just abandon them. The only way I could ever even think about giving them away would be if I knew beyond a doubt that their new home would give them a better life than I could (and that's a high bar🙂). So I need other options or ideas and/or reassurance😅. Thoughts? Thank you! (btw I'm in central CT if that helps)

edit: I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so if the mods want it somewhere else, just let me know.

You could get someone local to come in once or twice a day to feed and check on them? Then they can stay in their own environment. It could be someone experienced with chickens or someone you teach how to care for them. Perhaps a retired person or a college student?

As much as you probably love on them a whole lot, chickens really only need chicken company not human company, even when they are pets! So once a day visit might suffice.

They must bring you so much pleasure for you to keep them indoors with you. I think that's quite sweet. I do hope they get to go outside regularly though for exercise, sunshine, grass, and dirt scratching. Even if they live indoors the rest of the time. Chickens need to chicken!

Your outdoor living comment - if they lived outside all the time they would grow thicker down and feathers to manage the cold. My bantams do great. But I agree, if not acclimatised then you can't just put them out there in winter overnight all of a sudden.

Sorry, I forgot the bit where you ask what other people do!

When I go away, I get family or neighbours to come and let mine out in the morning, and put them back in a night, feed, water etc. They are garden pets. Even with various broods of chicks at a time, this has worked fine for me. I'm not taking my chickens anywhere, too much hassle, plus biosecurity.

I think giving them away would be the most practical. If it were me, I would start with local swaps that have a Facebook page, and I’d share what you told us. You’d be surprised how many people don’t care how old the chickens are. There’s probably someone who would be delighted to have these chickens and would even give you updates. As someone already said, chickens care more about their flock than about us humans, so don’t worry about them feeling torn from you. Bantams I have had are very spunky. They would forge ahead in their new home just fine in true bantam fashion.
Good luck, and please let us know how it works out!

Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here since pre-covid! It's great to be back!

Here's my question: I have been keeping chickens for about 17 years now and I'm down to my three little musketeers who live in an aviary in my house. They are all bantams (two hens and a roo), and the little ladies are quite old. Due to life circumstances that are beyond my control, I will have to be out of the country for very long periods of time for the foreseeable future. Obviously, I want to make sure that my babies are safe and happy while I'm gone.
I would prefer to pay to board them long term at someone's house like you would a cat or a dog, but of course there aren't a lot of people who are as comfortable as I am having chickens, much less a rooster, in their house. Outside full-time isn't an option because they can't handle the cold temperatures, and frankly they are house pets - it would be the same as putting a pampered lap dog out in a kennel full-time. (I see you broiler-keepers rolling your eyes, don't come for me😂)
My other option is to give them away to a good home. It would absolutely kill me to do that, since these are my babies and I don't want to just abandon them. The only way I could ever even think about giving them away would be if I knew beyond a doubt that their new home would give them a better life than I could (and that's a high bar🙂). So I need other options or ideas and/or reassurance😅. Thoughts? Thank you! (btw I'm in central CT if that helps)

edit: I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so if the mods want it somewhere else, just let me know.
I have done similar to my horses - farmed them out with the other person knowing that they are just custodians of the horse, they can ride and show but not breed the animal. I have a strict criteria for the keeping of my horses who are wimps and don't like cold, rain, snow, bugs, sun...... wimps. They have to be housed in a stable at night, blankets as required, the fencing has to be board fencing not wire/electric (I have has horrible injuries from that crap), feed, bedding, vet care, vaccines, worming.... all is covered with what my expectations are, and if they don't want the animal or if I decide they are not caring for it properly, then home it comes.

I understand completely.

Thanks for the input everyone! My parents have a farm not too far from me, and they offered to take care of my little babies indefinitely. My three are used to the farm, since I like to keep them outside in the coop there during the summer. It's the same coop I grew up keeping chickens in, and in the winter my parents will keep these three indoors. I'm so happy that they're going to be ok🥰

Back
Top Bottom