What would you do? Dog related...

I forgot to mention, this boy needs a name. Can you believe that in all the times dealing with the 'owner' they have never called him by name nor have they every told me his name. There has never been a "oh ____ we are so glad you are home" or nothin'. How sad is that?! So, he is nameless for the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions on a name? I think a new name for a new bright future ahead is appropriate, don't you?

Thanks so much for the name suggestion!!! I appreciate it. However, the family has decided on 'Jackson'.

Currently we are working on basic obedience commands such as sit, down, stay, come, wait, and heel. So far Jackson is doing really good. My husband keeps calling him "our dog" or saying little 'hints' such as "we have our own black lab"... so, I don't know exactly what he is thinking/saying/meaning. I think he wants to keep him. Which I think is funny because he didn't want another dog. Oh well, I am glad he has taken to him so much. I am going to really work with Jackson and see if we can't get Therapy Dog Certified.

Tomorrow he is going to get a really good bath, nails trimmed, etc. His skin is flaky and his coat is really oily/dirty so I want to get that cleared up. Also, his coat is really thin and he has no undercoat like he should. So we have him on a really simple but nutrient dense food along with a multi-vit. and digestive enzymes/probiotics. I think with continued Good/proper nutrition he will turn into a really lovely looking boy - even more-so than he is now.

One thing I find sort of sad is he doesn't seem to know what to do with toys. Maybe after his bath when he gets even more inside time than he does now he will show us that he enjoys toys. But so far he has no desire to play with even a tennis ball!!! He just wants to love on people and that is all. He goes back and forth from person to person when one stops petting him he moves on to the next person to pet him.
idunno.gif
I have never known any dogs that don't know how, or just aren't interested in, play time.

So, that is the update. He has been with us a week now I would guess, and has been a very dear and easy-to-keep dog. I am really glad that he is here where he is taken care of and is learning acceptable manners and where everyone loves him and loves to love on him. I am still keeping my eye out for the perfect home for him, but for now we are enjoying our time together and the journey to his forever home!!! I bought a dog themed picture frame today that is black and I plan on putting a picture of him in it for my husband, since he seems to enjoy calling him "our dog".

Hope everyone has a wonderful day/evening!!!
wink.png

He is a beautiful dog, your Jackson.
big_smile.png
Take it one step at a time. He is so thrilled to have folks who love him that he can't get over that part yet. Love and attention and he will be your wonder dog. He sure has the makings of one. good job!!

Quote:
Our rotti doesn't play with toys and never has. We rescued her from a life of wandering the street. She has never played with any toys. She would wrestle with the other dogs when she was younger. I believe that she was living in a home where the children were sexually abused. Long story...but sufficed to say, the "father" was arrested and two days after the house was raided my Precious puppy showed up.

She has always been very aggressive when the children were screaming or running around. We have always had to put a restriction on wrestling, screaming and chasing among the kids and their friends when they are over.

It stresses the dog into pure panic. She will grab a kid and drag them away from what ever she thinks is causing the problem. She has mellowed out over the years, but she still gets very anxious even when the kids and my hubby are wrestling or horse playing.

Poor dog never got a chance to be a puppy and just play and goof off. She's always been "on the job".

Keep in mind some dogs just like to wander and do still come from loving homes. My lab would cruise the neighborhood if allowed for all the treats she could beg and just to visit and take advantage of everyone!

I would definitely foster him until the perfect home comes along for him! I have done this several times with success, if I could have kept them, I would have, but I already have 3!
If his family doesn't want him, they I would just keep him safe and off the streets for now and find him a good home! You just have to keep in mind that he has to go or you will end up with him.....which might not be that bad of an idea
wink.png

I think he is adorable and I think the name fits him well!! He is a lucky boy to wind up at your house for some luvins!

Last edited:
I would contact the owner and get it in writing that they are GIVING you the dog. The last thing you need is them deciding you stole their dog and gave it away.

You should at least post signs or report to animal control that you have found this dog if anyone calls. That way you have covered your butt if the owners suddenly decide they want it back.

What a sweet dog. Shame on your "neighbors". The humane society would have been a better home than they gave him. Sometimes, you dont get a chance to pick your dogs, They pick you! I think that is what has happened to you
lau.gif

Thanks for caring

Back
Top Bottom