What would YOU do if this was your coop - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by startingover, Dec 27, 2011.

1. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    In 2 days we close on our new farm and I get to start on the new coop. We are using this building as the chicken coop.

Here is the outside front. The front with the door faces almost dead north.
    [​IMG]

This shows the other 2 sides. This door is to a room that we will use as a feed room. I want to put a door between the feed room and coop so I dont have to walk all the way around.
    [​IMG]

This is the coop side. The table does not have to stay. Only thing that is a must is a pop door on the far side because it opens into the pasture. And remember the door to the feed room too!
    [​IMG]

So let me hear it! What would you put where. Need roosts for about 40 birds. Coop is 12x16. Back wall is to the south, wall on right to the west. Where would you put windows, nest boxes, roosts, feeders, waterers, ventilation, etc!

I want to see some other people's thoughts because what you think might be a better idea that what I think![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    What are the dimensions?
    Since there is plenty of room inside, I would build a people area so you can store feed, keep supplies, etc. I'd keep the shelf and make it part of the people area. I have a similar shelf in mine, and i use it all the time. I also have a brooder pen and a grow-out pen built in the chicken house. And I have the nest boxes built so that I can access them from the people area.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

What are your plans for the floor?

We are working on closing on a house with two similar sheds that I plan to turn into coops. I've been debating deep liter, pavers, barn lime and can't decide which I want to go with. I'm concerned about potential contaminants in the soil--since I have no clue what the sheds were used for in the past.

4. startingover

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:It's been a long time since anything was kept in these sheds. I don't think it was ever used for animals. I think we have decided to go with a sand floor and the in the winter add shavings and straw for warmth. I have debated on putting a thick plastic down on the dirt mainly for moisture control but the sand should take care of that.

5. startingover

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:The people are is on east side of the coop. It is about 6x8 and is where I will keep the brooder, feed, and other supplies. So since I have that I don't need to take anything away from this coop area. The coop area is roughly 12x16.

6. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Looks like you have a LOT of options! Awesome! Make sure the structure is sturdy and there will be no huge drafts or places rodents can get in. Also make sure there are not any spaces the hens can be clumsy and get stuck between boards or something...The great thing about having such a nice big space is that you can be creative and move things around to see what works best where! Have fun and also....make sure the floor is cleaned out so they don't have any old, dirty sharp things to stick their feet on...helps reduce the bumblefoot! [​IMG]

7. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Middle picture, where the left wall meet the roof. From the picture it looks like a gap where rain water can enter (and rot the wood).

Bottom picture. 3 vertical post at random places to support the weight of a all almost flat roof. Perhaps a beam across the middle support by vertical posts. Vertical posts resting on concrete pads instead of by the ground (rot)?

Someway of getting natural lighting in the south wall for the chickens (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere).

Bet you're going to enjoy creating a new home for your chickens.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The first thing I would do is move the pop door to the South side. If you ever leave it open the north or western winter winds you don't want in there. It looks like the second thing to do is just straighten it up and see what you have. It's really difficult to tell with the pictures the way they are. What are your ideas?

9. startingover

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:The pop door will be on the south side. If you are looking at the pic of the coop interior that back wall is the south side and north is to your back.

I have various thoughts like the door to the feeding room. I can't decide where I want to put the roosts. If the door to the feed has to be on the left side somewhere between the front of the coop and the center then that limits putting the roosts on the long side. Of course I could always use both the partial long side and part of the short side and leave headroom for opening and closing the pop door so I'm not crawling under the roosts.

I thought nesting boxes on the long side too backing up to the feed room and making access to gather eggs from the feed room....

10. swamy

swamy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Now, this is just me...but, I would salvage the steel for the exterior of a new coop. By the time you get done bringing that one up to your ideal, you will probably find it would have been easier to start over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by