What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by herfrds, Jul 16, 2010.

  1. herfrds

    herfrds Songster

    Jan 11, 2010
    We have been trying to build this house.
    Lots of rain this spring and lots of delays.

    I am not happy with the guy we planned to do the concrete. He would always talk to my husband, but not me. I'm part of this project too.

    well this guy came out over a month ago and told us we had 2 weeks to move the trailer house. Even with the rain delays we got it out.
    Hear nothing from him.

    The excavator guy was called up for some emergency road work. He got out here on Monday. Got it done on Tuesday afternoon.[​IMG]
    I kept hearing the concrete guy was going to be here on the 15th.
    Called the concrete guy on Monday. Said he would be here at the first of this next week, ok.
    when the digger was done I called to let him know. I get told he has no idea when he is going to be here.
    Tells my DH that he is going to be here Tuesday and now it is the end of the week.
    The builders are coming on the 26th to start.

    I'm stressed out.

    Well I talked to my DD's substitute therapist. Find out her family is in construction. Called them up and they ask around and find a different concrete guy who has a cancellation for this week.
    He is willing to come out on Monday and get it all done this week. No waiting, no wondering.
    same price as the other guy.
    Willing to give me 16 references.

    Well DH then had to call up the first concrete guy and tell him I was threatening to bring in a different crew.[​IMG]
    This guy then says don't threaten me. There was no threat.

    DH says he does not want to change horses mid-stream. We're not even on the bank yet.


    Go with the first guy I can't get a date from or go with the new guy who can get it done now?

    Oh I have a plumber waiting for a date to come out and do all the sewer and water lines.

  2. debilorrah

    debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

    Get a different concrete guy. In this economy that guy is an idiot.
  3. Joz

    Joz Songster

    Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Give the new guys a chance to show up for a scheduled appointment. If the first guy misses out, too bad for him. Have you documented all your phone conversations, and all the failed appointments?
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. rodriguezpoultry

    rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

    Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Get the guy who WILL do it right then.

    You gave the guy a shot...didn't work out. Warn others against him. His "don't threaten me" attitude is a red flag and is someone I would not want to deal with every again and would be sure to give out that info to anyone looking to hire him.
  5. kla37

    kla37 Songster

    Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    DUMP the first freak. He obviously doesn't need any customers since he's such a jacka$$.
  6. kla37

    kla37 Songster

    Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    And, you can't "change horses in mid-stream" if the horse hasn't even left the gate.
  7. Debbi

    Debbi Crowing

    May 2, 2010
    Get the new guy! He probably needs to build his business and is aiming to please! The first guy is living on his past laurels, and sounds to me like he thinks you should be honored that you got him. If you insist on waiting for the first guy to get 'round to it, by that time, all of your other workers (plumber, construction, electricians) will be tired of waiting to start, and they will start with the next person's project on the list! Go with the new guy, NOW!

  8. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Randomly check some of the references for both. Quite frankly, that he would not talk to you is a huge deal. Yes, if you and your husband were giving conflicting instructions, that would be a big concern, but if not.

    Anyways, if all the references check out, schedule the new guy, and send a letter to the original contractor where you mention all the failed appointments and are firing him. Do check your contract (assuming that you have a signed contract) to make sure that you are following any cancelation procedures appropriately.
  9. herfrds

    herfrds Songster

    Jan 11, 2010
    Sonoran there was no signed contract. I had asked about that before. Guy said no need.
    I didn't like the bid he gave us, I didn't like the way it was written up.
    Read it to the new guy and he was shocked.

    Yes we are checking references, BBB and state contractor site.

    New guy is coming out Monday to look at the site and meet us.

    DH told me I get to tell the other guy that we are not going to use him.
    He talked to our builder and they said that having the cement cure for at least 7 days is better then maybe 2 or 3 days like if we use the other guy.
  10. Goose and Fig

    Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

    Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I know where you're coming from. We (my husband AND I) build furniture, and we are building our house by hand. Everyone- especially men- think that DH is the only one doing any work. I get the "Oh I really like that table your husband did!" When I did everything but screw the legs on [​IMG]

    I'd go with the second guy as well. We never had such a problem with contractors (sometimes we outsource table legs & such) until we moved to the south. It's like a different country- people just show up for work whenever they feel like it. You don't want my money? Fine- I'll find somebody that does!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by