What would YOU do?

Listen to chirpy. Document EVERYTHING, and call the police NOW before anything else happens. You don't necessarily have to make a formal complaint about her, just call the police and TELL them what has happened so that it is in their records in case you need to make use of it later.

I do doberman rescue. We constantly have to worry about people who want their dogs back, or pretend that one of our dogs was theirs, and so on. I know a lady who does malamute rescue who was involved in a very expensive lawsuit for many months when some idjit wanted their dog back. TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.

If you had them for 7 months and she GAVE them to you. That means they ain't hers no more. If she does want them she should have to pay for the feed cost, the coop and other cost. Some people are crazy enough to break in to steal them. Good luck and I hope this ends up okay.

Once the birds were in YOUR yard, on YOUR property, they became YOURS. Hand her the bills and say that's how much you want to sell YOUR birds for.
Speaking from experience, I KNOW how hard it is to part with a featherbaby. I cried for 3 weeks when I had to rehome Jerry.
BUT, I would also understand that *I* gave you my birds with no strings attached., because I knew that you'd care for them like I would...
If she misses her birds so much there's hatcheries in your area....

Well, I think we're okay here.

Heard a car coming up the drive and looked out in time to see a state police car coming around the bend. Great. I had called, but no officer was being sent.

First, he complained about how rough our road was.
roll.png
It's a township road, I can't fix it. Sheesh.

I asked him if he was up to buy eggs, and he said no, he was up on a complaint of stolen chickens. The nerve of that woman.

Anyway, I told him the whole bloody story, explained what had happened earlier, showed him where she had torn out and thrown gravel, and then he asked to see the birds.

We started to walk to the coop, and I called the girls with my treat call, LOL, and they all came running. We walked up to the coop accompanied by a flock of chubby, clucking hens. I showed him the inside of the coop (which I just cleaned this AM) and the new run, and he said he'd seen enough. Told me I had a nice set-up.

No charges are being pressed, she has no legal leg to stand on, and he wanted to know if she came up or called the house again. So, *big sigh of relief* we're good.

I asked him if he would be kind enough to close and lock our gate, and he said no troubles. Nice guy.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. It was a rotten day.
Em

Yes, she reported it as a theft. I was talking to my Gramma about it this afternoon, and mind you, Gramma is 80, and from across the pond. I told her the whole story and - read this with a strong English accent - she called her a "bloody loon." Gramma says also that she must be positively daft. Leave it to Gran to cheer me.

It's been a rotten day from the start. I swear, it was a full-blown Monday.
ack.gif

Em
**edited to add:
i_hate_monday.jpg

'Nuff said.**

Last edited:
A wise man who used to speak at my old church would say "Hurt people hurt people." Seems that this lady is a hurtin' pup, with all her troubles with the divorce, resettlement, unpaid bills, missed opportunities, etc, and thus caused you the pain you endured today. This doesn't excuse her, but may give some insight & understanding into her behaviors.

This wise man also would say "Healed people heal people." I pray for comfort & healing for you over this episode, that the hurt wouldn't continue to riccochet.

Have a happier Tues!

Hey, Mangled, I feel for you. That is just an ugly scene and rough to have to deal with. But those are your chickens, not hers. And you can be pretty sure that the police are aware of this woman's history.

Back
Top Bottom