What would you do ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by swtangel321, Jul 12, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yesterday was day 22 of our hatch and we had 4 silkie chicks and a barred rock !!!!! So today on day 23 I still have 3 eggs in the bator 2 barred rocks and 1 silkie, they are showing no signs of hatching.... no moving, now pipping, and I can hear nothing, yesterday i candled the eggs and just saw dark in both barred rock eggs and the silkie i don't think formed all the way ( could see feet and head, looked very small ) But then again i'm not 100% sure..... What should I do ? Leave em there for a few more days ? Open them up ?? And what should I look for when I candle ?? Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can use a pin and pip the egg on the air cell end very carefully. Ease back enough shell to look for signs of life. If you see any blood stop and put it back in the incubator as you could get a live but late hatch. If you find no signs of life dispose of the eggs and end the hatch.

Congrats on your babies.

3. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    Thanks, MissPrissy!! I've been trying to figure out how to tell if I should leave my eggs or toss them. I hope this will help me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by