What would you get if you crossed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bikergirl, May 1, 2011.

1. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    What would you get if you crossed Blue Swedish duck with a Welsh Harlequin drake? What are my babys going to look like??? [​IMG]

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] either.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I dont know, but I crossed a Fawn Runner with a Khaki Campbell and got sable duckling with blue/silver on the wings and back
    These were hatched March 13th ( not the white one)
    [​IMG]
    and this one hatched in January
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  4. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    I will let you know when mine hatch out. I have Black Swedish and Black & White magpies covered by a Welsh Harlequin and a Pekin.

My first 4 ducklings look like: 1 Black Swedish, 1Blue Swedish or blue Magpie (very dark grey or washed out black), 1 Chocolate magpie (or Chocolate Swedish?) and one lavender something - too pale to tell yet (very yellow duckling with pale grey head and back). The Magpie/Swedish markings look suspiciously alike in these four, so I guess I will know more in a few weeks when they feather out. I am guessing magpie with at least 2 of them because their head markings look splotchy and they seem to have more yellow fuzz on their bellies.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    PM the user "rollyard"

He is quite knowledgable about genetics and phenotypes of Mallard Deriviatives in general.

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, definitely ask Rollyard.

One complication is that you probably do not know if your Swedish is pure for the dominant genes that produce the blue bibbed colour pattern. If she has two version of two important, dominent genes (Extended Black and Dominant Bib) then she will pass these on to all her offspring and they will influence the colour pattern on all of them (like, they will turn out solid coloured with bibs). But if she only has one dose of either of these then you will get some that are not solid coloured.

Plus both your ducks may be hiding recessive genes, liek recessive white, meaning that you could get some all white ones. So it is not possible to tell exactly what you will get without knowing the exact genetic make-up of the parents. but Rollyard is a very good person to give you an idea [​IMG]

7. bikergirl

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  8. bikergirl

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    sheila3935 your ducklings are gorgeous [​IMG]

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps