What would you spend?

How much would you spend on a proven poultry safe LGD?

• Total voters

Why and Dotte

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Princeton, IN
It seems that poultry safe livestock guardian dogs are in high demand yet I never see any trained dogs available.
I'm wondering if that's because the cost of a trained LGD is typically more than most want to pay or have the funds to pay for one.

Hypothetically these dogs would be health tested so good hips and elbows, has the ability to be registered, does not play with poultry and is safe to be housed with and around various types of poultry without intentionally causing harm.

Humor me, I'd like to see what other poultry owners think a dog of these standards are worth :)
Picture of my rescued anatolian/kangal Archie, still in training but doing excellent!
1644512664960.png

It seems that poultry safe livestock guardian dogs are in high demand yet I never see any trained dogs available.
I'm wondering if that's because the cost of a trained LGD is typically more than most want to pay or have the funds to pay for one.

Hypothetically these dogs would be health tested so good hips and elbows, has the ability to be registered, does not play with poultry and is safe to be housed with and around various types of poultry without intentionally causing harm.

Humor me, I'd like to see what other poultry owners think a dog of these standards are worth :)
Picture of my rescued anatolian/kangal Archie, still in training but doing excellent!
View attachment 2989569
I’m getting a grest pyreenees/ anatolioan shepherd when my friends breeder is next having puppies…. 1400 is worth it becuase my friend had one and it was the best dog he ever had

View attachment 2989569
My dog cpu”d be ine, he’s a lab and he kind of ignores my chickens but has chased many a raccoon away from my coop and a bobcat and a few hawks…. Guess he is one🤣

I’m getting a grest pyreenees/ anatolioan shepherd when my friends breeder is next having puppies…. 1400 is worth it becuase my friend had one and it was the best dog he ever had
I would pay 1400 for a puppy if the parent stock were proven guardians and they had excellent hip/elbow testing.
I'm primarily interested in what people think a mature trained adult is worth because I never see them, there's a surplus of puppies on the market though.

I would pay 1400 for a puppy if the parent stock were proven guardians and they had excellent hip/elbow testing.
I'm primarily interested in what people think a mature trained adult is worth because I never see them, there's a surplus of puppies on the market though.
Ohhhh trained, I would pay 5 grand. That’s a lot of time and work and commitment

Back
Top Bottom