What would you spend?

How much would you spend on a proven poultry safe LGD?

• Total voters
We can't afford a dog that's $1000+. At most I'd spend for any animal maybe $150, or $200 at most.
I can't either at the moment, when I am ready for another dog it will be considered an investment.

My current boy was cheap but he was also not trained whatsoever at 1.5yrs old, no basic manners around people at all so it was like working with a 130lb mouthy, pushy, crazy, bouncy puppy😅

Additional fencing and security isn't cheap if you have a larger flock, free ranging is hard without something to ward off predators, the dog will continually cost money with feeding and vetting but they're extremely valuable once you get them trained and in my experience eventually pay for themselves by keeping my stock alive.
Everyone's situation will be different of course and you could find an LGD pup at those prices, you'd just have to put in all the time and hard work yourself as well as the uncertainty of future hip and elbow issues.

Most livestock guardian dogs start training as puppies. And very rarely are they used for chickens. They're used for sheep, cows,goats and such. These breeds nip and bite to move the cattle along that's why they aren't used for chickens. However they are little geniuses...you could start one as a pup and it might work. I have a blue heeler pup..he is in the picture. He is bigger than that now..very intelligent. I don't use him for herding..or my chickens protection..he is for my protection. Blue heelers are super intelligent..and they attach themselves to one person usually..my mother got me one for Christmas. She wanted me to have a guard dog. She has one and he is super smart, loyal and yes amazing guard dog..max weight 60 pounds and they have minis. This is an intelligent dog..and I think it could be trained for chickens..
It seems that poultry safe livestock guardian dogs are in high demand yet I never see any trained dogs available.
I'm wondering if that's because the cost of a trained LGD is typically more than most want to pay or have the funds to pay for one.

Hypothetically these dogs would be health tested so good hips and elbows, has the ability to be registered, does not play with poultry and is safe to be housed with and around various types of poultry without intentionally causing harm.

Humor me, I'd like to see what other poultry owners think a dog of these standards are worth :)
Picture of my rescued anatolian/kangal Archie, still in training but doing excellent!
View attachment 2989569

Most livestock guardian dogs start training as puppies. And very rarely are they used for chickens. They're used for sheep, cows,goats and such. These breeds nip and bite to move the cattle along that's why they aren't used for chickens. However they are little geniuses...you could start one as a pup and it might work. I have a blue heeler pup..he is in the picture. He is bigger than that now..very intelligent. I don't use him for herding..or my chickens protection..he is for my protection. Blue heelers are super intelligent..and they attach themselves to one person usually..my mother got me one for Christmas. She wanted me to have a guard dog. She has one and he is super smart, loyal and yes amazing guard dog..max weight 60 pounds and they have minis. This is an intelligent dog..and I think it could be trained for chickens..
A blue heeler is not an LGD, it is a herding dog. I have a red heeler mixed with a great pyrenees and he's the worst of both breeds lol:barnie

LGD breeds instinctively guard livestock, have a lesser tendency to try to herd or chase livestock.They live with the livestock and bond with their animals.
You are right about LGDs not commonly being used for poultry though, birds aren't historically what they were trained to guard so they typically take additional time and training.

A blue heeler is not an LGD, it is a herding dog. I have a red heeler mixed with a great pyrenees and he's the worst of both breeds lol:barnie

LGD breeds instinctively guard livestock, have a lesser tendency to try to herd or chase livestock.They live with the livestock and bond with their animals.
You are right about LGDs not commonly being used for poultry though, birds aren't historically what they were trained to guard so they typically take additional time and training.
That sounds like an interesting mix...I bet he is pretty😁

True, however they can be trained to poultry. Check out Goldshawfarm on Youtube. He has a Maremma, is getting another pup. He raises ducks, geese and chickens. Just added some Highland cattle.

Most livestock guardian dogs start training as puppies. And very rarely are they used for chickens. They're used for sheep, cows,goats and such. These breeds nip and bite to move the cattle along that's why they aren't used for chickens.
Um, no. Livestock Guardian Dogs should NEVER nip or bite their charges (of ANY species) and should move them only to get them away from danger. LGD's are not herding dogs.

I have a red heeler mixed with a great pyrenees
:th I can only HOPE that was an accident and not an intentional cross

We've got 3 dogs. 1 yellow lab, and two lab mixes. Don't bother the chickens at all, and chase everything away from the fence. Think we payed $250 total.

I cannot justify paying more than a few hundred dollars for a pup to be used as a poultry guardian. Far more will be expended, especially in value as time, getting that pup into working form as an adult. Spending a lot more as an adult to protect chickens requires the chickens to be worth many thousands of dollars.

The purchase price is the down payment! Keeping that dog, regardless of it's initial cost (not zillions) is what's expensive. And the fencing, training, feed, veterinary care, all that, really will add up over that dog's lifetime.
A large property with good fencing, lots of critters to guard, and then at least two or more dogs, may be worth it. Otherwise, get a dog because you want that animal, not because it's cost effective as a LGD for a few chickens on a couple of acres.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom