What would you spend?

How much would you spend on a proven poultry safe LGD?

• Total voters
That sounds like an interesting mix...I bet he is pretty😁
He is a pretty boy, gets compliments everywhere he goes. His hair is cut short because he's inside and I'm not a fan of wearing dog hair slippers...
Of course I couldn't find a normal picture of him, it always comes out as either a blur or he's doing something silly lol
1644548266933.png

True, however they can be trained to poultry. Check out Goldshawfarm on Youtube. He has a Maremma, is getting another pup. He raises ducks, geese and chickens. Just added some Highland cattle.

Um, no. Livestock Guardian Dogs should NEVER nip or bite their charges (of ANY species) and should move them only to get them away from danger. LGD's are not herding dogs.

:th I can only HOPE that was an accident and not an intentional cross
Yep, my Anatolian is almost there.
I actually watch Gold Shaw Farms, they seem like they'll make responsible LGD breeders :)

Oh no, he was the result of neglectful owners in the back hills of Arkansas and I took him in as a pet.
Lord knows what happened to all the others, he was the calmest of the bunch and he's still a nut case!

His mama was a pyr x heeler and his dad was pyrenees. He took after the mama being on the small side. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I got him, I had working Pyrenees before him and knew how hyper heelers are. The puppy eyes were just too much I guess 😄

I cannot justify paying more than a few hundred dollars for a pup to be used as a poultry guardian. Far more will be expended, especially in value as time, getting that pup into working form as an adult. Spending a lot more as an adult to protect chickens requires the chickens to be worth many thousands of dollars.
Re read my post, I am saying for an adult experienced LGD, not a puppy.
I would not. My 70 birds are easily replaced, and at much less cost than a livestock guardian dog, who frankly can't guard all my birds, over all the acres they range, at all times. Its simply not cost effective.
Great point, predator load plays a massive role here. My one LGD's presence is enough to ward off any predators from my flock's area just from his barking. I only contend with aerial predators, fox, racoon, mink, skunk, snakes, stray dogs, opossum and coyotes. There are bobcats and cougars in my region but none hae made it to our neck of the woods yet.
The purchase price is the down payment! Keeping that dog, regardless of it's initial cost (not zillions) is what's expensive. And the fencing, training, feed, veterinary care, all that, really will add up over that dog's lifetime.
A large property with good fencing, lots of critters to guard, and then at least two or more dogs, may be worth it. Otherwise, get a dog because you want that animal, not because it's cost effective as a LGD for a few chickens on a couple of acres.
Mary
I already have a working LGD and you are absolutely right they are an investment!

I was trying to see how many realize this, not many!

Years ago a daughter left her Walker hound with us because she couldn't have pets where she was living. We had no predator problems when she was around. After she passed then the predators started showing up. Instead of getting another dog I opted for electric wires around my coops and pens and the predators know they are there. Good luck... Last night.
DSCF0001211 05.jpg

He is a pretty boy, gets compliments everywhere he goes. His hair is cut short because he's inside and I'm not a fan of wearing dog hair slippers...
Of course I couldn't find a normal picture of him, it always comes out as either a blur or he's doing something silly lol
View attachment 2990192

Yep, my Anatolian is almost there.
I actually watch Gold Shaw Farms, they seem like they'll make responsible LGD breeders :)

Oh no, he was the result of neglectful owners in the back hills of Arkansas and I took him in as a pet.
Lord knows what happened to all the others, he was the calmest of the bunch and he's still a nut case!

His mama was a pyr x heeler and his dad was pyrenees. He took after the mama being on the small side. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I got him, I had working Pyrenees before him and knew how hyper heelers are. The puppy eyes were just too much I guess 😄
Oh he is a cutie..full speed ahead..

There isn't enough money to be made raising chickens on a couple acres to justify spending thousands on fencing and guardian dogs (or everyone would have one or two) However if you have mountain lions and/or bears and live in a remote area investing a couple thousand in raising and training a couple guardian dogs would be worth the investment.

Back
Top Bottom