Whats a fair price to ask for my hatching eggs or chicks?

cwalter141

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
I have beautiful healthy well cared for Buff orpingtons. They are not mixed with any other breed and not mixed with their own offspring. I started out with chicks in march. They began to lay in august.
I have incubated and gotten a 100% hatch rate.
I recently began selling both hatching eggs and chicks.
Question is: what is a fair asking price for fresh hatching eggs or new chicks within my location? I'm in Arkansas. I want to make sure im not asking too much. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20201009_133502.jpg
    20201009_133502.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201014_144529.jpg
    20201014_144529.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 5
Well it depends on where you live and how saturated the buff orpington market may be in your area. It there a hatchery close by that you have to compete with? Other breeders close by? I suggest checking what others are charging in your area and charge comparable prices. :)

$3 to $5 is the fair price range online for buff orpington. If you're selling locally and in person you can probably easily get $5 a piece, or more! I think most people are happy to pay a little extra to support local folks. happy chickening

My local FB poultry group has folks listing their barnyard mix chicks for $3-$5 SR, and most sell out pretty quickly. I've also seen people getting good returns on 8+ wk old pullets at $25-$30 for purebred heritage. I don't see many eggs getting posted, but I purchased 1/dz heritage for $9. Local CL posts $12-$15/dz for barnyard mix eggs.

Started pullets that are Buff Orpingtons will get you more than barnyard mix pullets, but you gotta calculate feed costs in that.

A good plan for started pullets would be to take pictures of the parents. Keep the chicks for 7 or 8 weeks until you can identify the males. Then sell the pullets...and be willing to share a picture of their parents.

As for the males...either give them away or keep in your line and select the best - eat the rest.

When selling baby chicks, you would need to sell them 4-6-8-10-12 at a time to someone who has a brooder. The bigger the lot the better in fall.

Last edited:
Thanks i really appreciate this information. Sounds like i am chargibg a fair and comparable price.

Back
Top Bottom