whats a good large breed hen to add to my flock

tillie14

Hatching
Mar 20, 2015
hello I'm new to this sight and i was wondering what breed would be a good choice for a flock that has brahmas Wyandot's and ester eggers. and would like to know more about rare brahmas. I love brahmas my flock has both light and buff. they are some of the largest birds i have ever seen and the fact that they are broody makes me love them even more my 10 month old pullet went setting, they should hatch in two days
jumpy.gif
. But any information on large bred chickens would be helpful. because i know some people are against cross breeding chickens. i like cross breeding for the unique looking birds with a sweet personality. And i would like to add a good egg laying breed that would add more color.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. There are a number of breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets) that would be good additions to your flock. Besides the Brahmas (which you already have), these include Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Sussex, Faverolles, and Jersey Giants. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best laying breed on this list. If you want another bird that is massive in size like your Brahmas, Jersey Giants and Cochins will fit the bill. In addition, Cochins come in a number of very colorful varieties. Another good sized layer that would add color to your flock are Orpingtons which come in such colors as buff, blue, and splash. Speckled Sussex is another good layer whose beautiful feather patterns will add color to your flock. In addition to Light and Buff, Brahmas also come in a dark variety. Just remember whenever you add new birds to your flock to do so slowly and carefully using the "look but don't touch" method. There is a good article at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens explaining how to do it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever new breeds you decide to get, good luck in adding them to your flock.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you from Michael OShay. Good luck with choosing a new breed. I too don't mind cross bred chickens they add something different to the flock. I have a couple of cross bred eggs in my incubator now and can't wait to see what they are going to be like! The unknown seems to make it more exciting when they do hatch.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Jersey Giants and Cochins are two beautiful large breeds that come to mind.

Welcome to the flock with so many choices, hope you will be able to find just the right large breed to add to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom