What's a good price?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
There's a local farmer I know, who raises sumatras, and cochins (blue bantam and partridge regular sized) and shows them (wins all the time!) at the regional fair. He only charges $4 a dozen for hatching eggs. Is he underpricing them a lot? Am I taking advantage of him if I pay that?

Wow - that seems to be quite underpriced. I don't know how guilty I would feel about it. Perhaps he isn't looking to make a profit - just advance his breed of choice. I would DEFINITELY buy some, though! Perhaps you can offer other barter items in addition to the $4?

I think it's fair to tell him you think they're underpriced. He will almost certainly continue to sell you at least your first batch at that price, and thank you for the tip (as long as you offer it nicely and without condescension). I think it's actually good for everyone if sellers offer prices that are competitive (as opposed to cheap), because it better reflects the true value of the product. Farmers in general have a hard time making ends meet in part because we as a nation have grown accustomed to under-priced food that results from government subsidies and unsustainable factory farming processes. Which makes it difficult for small family farmers to make enough to live on, because it's hard to sell products at a reasonable price. So my feeling is, if you have a product that is worth something, you should charge that much and not try to go "cheap."

But, on the other hand, if I were the seller, I would honor the advertised price for anyone who responded to the original ad, and then start charging the higher price for new customers.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that he, like me, has run into an end-of-seasonal-demand problem and simply has more hatching eggs than he knows what to do with, so he's ready to part with them for a song. Me, I'm giving away eggs to everyone I owe a debt of gratitude and lots of folks I just plain like. I don't think it's good market practice to sell for a severe discount, or at least not to advertise that severe discount, but some folks do.

Back
Top Bottom