What's a Normal Chicken Death Rate?

I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong. I've lost two reds in one year. Both just up and died with no sign of sickness beforehand. Is this normal? I don't think its coccidiosis because I see no problems beforehand (like, I didn't seen anything wrong with her yesterday and she was just laying on the ground dead today) and it is also completely random. Funny thing is that both of them were of the four reds I had. The other 11 hens are fine. I have 15, now 14 total here. Am I doing something wrong?

You are replying to a very old thread, so those individuals are unlikely to respond. However, a couple of bird deaths is not necessarily unusual even in a small flock. Chickens die for all kinds of reasons that you wouldn't know just by looking at them.

I necropsy almost every bird that dies on the university farm that I run. In the past year, I've had over 200 birds on the farm over the course of the year and we've had about 9 chickens die. After a basic necropsy, 1 died from a crop impaction, 2 died from gizzard impactions, 1 died from a large intestine impaction, and 1 died from a reproductive tract growth (not an egg). All of these presented similarly from the outside - they were thinner than they should be, but otherwise appeared normal. Three cockerels died in fights with other cockerels (same age/size as themselves) - no prior warning, but the cause was pretty easy to see even before opening them up. Only two were unexplained deaths after necropsy - both bantam cockerels with nothing particularly remarkable to note. Just found them dead.

Long story short, chickens die and the causes aren't always apparent from just looking at them. I wouldn't beat yourself up about losing two in the year. If you do have specific questions about your set up, feel free to ask.

I agree, don't beat yourself up, don't feel guilty. Good food, water, shelter to the best of your ability. You cannot prevent death, it comes. It is the circle of life. Sometimes a genetic defect, sometimes just bad luck.

Mrs K

Thanks much. I have another Rhode Island Red hen now that was limping this morning and holder her wing out to one side so I picked her up and she is loosing feathers on her chest. Do you think I have a problem here?

Back
Top Bottom