What's better sand or straw bedding in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LittleBird123, Jun 4, 2017.

1. LittleBird123

LittleBird123 Chirping

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    I have always used straw bedding in my coops, but the other day I read an article about the advantages of sand in the coop rather than straw. So now I am wondering if I should switch to sand bedding. What have all of your experiences been with sand bedding? Should I switch?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I never liked straw---but your straw might be like my coastal Bermuda hay---which I use in the nesting boxes or a cuddle place for just moved out the brooder chicks. My coop had sand on the floor for several years and I liked it but I did build a electric "sifter" to remove the poop from the sand between changes. For the last year or so I been trying flake pine shavings on the coop floors and I like it.

3. LittleBird123

LittleBird123 Chirping

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    Pine shavings may be too expensive for me. Did the sand make it easier to clean the coop? I imagine that you could just scoop it out like a litter box.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you have to buy the sand----the shavings are probably cheaper. Cleaning the sand was not a simple task----most of the sand does not need to be replaced, but separating it by hand was no fun, which is why I made the electric sifter/turmel

Suzi18 likes this.
  5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Songster

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Pine shavings aren't expensive, in our 8' x 9' coop we use 2 of those large bags (8 cu. ft) from Tractor Supply, and are less than $6.00/bag. We clean out twice a year using 4 bags total/year.

We have a poopboard under the roost filled with PDZ that is sifted daily.

aart, blackdog043 and Nikasha like this.
  6. chookchick

chookchick Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Same here, pine shavings are the way to go. In my 8 by 8 coop I use 1 1/2 bags, 2 times per year, so three bags all year. Plus a poop tray that is filled with sawdust I get for free. You might be able to use dry wood chip, I use that in the run, but never tried it in the coop, I bet it would work fine.

7. LittleBird123

LittleBird123 Chirping

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    I like to clean my coops about every day so pine shavings would get a bit expensive. I think I am going to try sand on the coop floor but keep hay in the nest boxes.
    Also, I live in Michigan and it usually gets very cold in the winter. Would I still use sand in the coop in winter or would I switch to something else?

8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I see no need to change.

blackdog043 likes this.
  9. Suzi18

Suzi18 Crossing the Road

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    I live in Ohio and I use sand in my coop and my run but pine shavings in my nest boxes (with dried roses and lavender of course.) Lol Spoiled chickens! I give my coop and run a quick clean every day with a kitty litter scoop and it takes about 5 minutes. No smell and the sand sort of dries out the poop pretty quickly. I'm very happy with it

HenOnAJuneBug likes this.
  10. wvchics

wvchics Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    Proctor, WV
    Sand is great for regular cleaning and it also provides a dust bath and natural grit. However, pine shavings will work.

HenOnAJuneBug likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: