What's for Supper Tonight?

Monday we had turkey and gravy over mashed potatoes, peas, home made buttermilk bread and butter. DH suprised me with a box of chocolates for dessert. (He's so sweet!)

The menu for Tuesday night will be chicken. Not sure how we'll cook it, but it's soaking in buttermilk.

Corn Soup

1 - 4 to 5 pound fryer
A little lard or cooking oil
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
4 or 5 cloves of garlic
28oz can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn
5 chicken bullion cubes
1/4 cup white wine (optional)

Cut up a frying hen into serving pieces. (My Grandmother used to kill an old hen for this dish and cook it all day but I like to use a frying hen to shorten the cooking time.)

Melt a spoon of lard in a large pan or Dutch oven. Brown the chicken in the lard a few pieces at a time and remove them to a plate.

Add your chopped onions, garlic and bell peppers and cook them in the fat until the onions are translucent.

Add a large 28oz can of diced tomatoes.

Add 1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn and enough water to cover all the ingredients, add 5 cubes of chicken bullion.

Bring this to a boil then add the browned chicken and any juices that might be in the plate to the pot. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is done. About 5 minutes before your ready to cut the heat off under the pot taste the broth and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed. At this time I like to stir in about 1/4 cup of white wine and bring it just back to a boil. It adds a little extra zing to the dish.

Serve in soup bowls over rice.

Leftovers tonight so it's a little of this and that. Sometimes those are the best meals and just warming it up without cooking sounds good to me today.

BettyR,

That Corn Soup recipe sounds wonderful. May have to try it next cold snap we have. 75 here today, sure doesn't feel like Christmas is a mere 14 days away.
hu.gif

Yesterday I cooked a big pot of collard greens with ham hocks, fried deer steaks w/gravy, mashed potatoes w/plenty of butter and Razorback cornbread. Sweet tea of course.

Today, it's leftover's from yesterday cause I try not to cook on Sunday's if I can help it, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom