What's going on with chicken's feathers?

novastar

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Ive noticed 2 of my chickens having thin neck feathers. I thought it was peckong but the girl that does the majority of the pecking has it the worst! Is it molting? Molting in the dead cold of winter does not seem practical. Could it be the cold? We have gotten down to 0 and negatives at night.
Any ideas? What should i do?

looks similar to my older hen. I thought the same thing turns out she is molting in Dec!! lol. Not sure where you live but here it's been a mild winter so not only are they molting but laying as well. Weathers not only got my hens confused but me as well don't know whether to keep my winter clothes out or bathing suit!!
hu.gif

Ive noticed 2 of my chickens having thin neck feathers. I thought it was peckong but the girl that does the majority of the pecking has it the worst! Is it molting? Molting in the dead cold of winter does not seem practical. Could it be the cold? We have gotten down to 0 and negatives at night.
Any ideas? What should i do?

That looks like a partial molt. Lots of protein will help get those new feathers grown in.

Meat, fish, mealworms, cat food, and grower feed are all things that will increase their protein intake. Legumes can be toxic if fed raw, and oatmeal is high calorie, but low in protein.

That is a neck molt probably, many hens will go through one especially younger ones too young to fully molt, it will slow or halt laying but it's not the same as a full molt.

Thanks so much. They are young girls yet, not quite a year. They did not have a molt in the fall, so i guess this makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom