Whats happening to his neck?

nfrost

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
89771_no_feathers_on_neck.jpg

Its getting a little worse im just worried taht he will get cold when it gets real cold here soon!

This is totally a hunch, but... check him for mites?

The reason that I say that is that the only time I've remotely seen anything like that was in my cats, and it was self-inflicted--scratched all the fur off. Right behind the ear is one of the few places that chicken can reach to scratch at with their feet, and I've seen mine accidentally claw themselves before. If he's itchy, he may have scratched his feathers out.

mites in the winter time? and it was kinda bloody the other day so i saw a SLW hen piccking at it and when i cam back the next day it was a bit worse, so would hens pluck all those!

First, see if you can see any crawly things around the base of his feathers.

If he doesn't have parasites, then assume that it's just an irritation that's being aggravated by the other chickens noticing the red, bare skin. You can treat it with Blu-kote. It will help heal it while coloring the bald spot a purple color, which is neutral to chickens, so they won't be attracted to it, pecking at it, keeping it raw.

From what I've seen here, sometimes hens will do that for some reason. And the silly roo will just stand there and let them.

Back
Top Bottom