What's in a Name? tell me the names of your chickens/duck/birds

Pics
When we started with chickens last year, husband said "Don't name them, they will be dinner someday". So they are all named "Chicken" but they have middle names.
Black Astralorps - Soup, Sandwich (died), Monterey, Madeira
ISA Brown - Cacciatore, Alfredo, Salad, Dumpling
Barred Rock - Rice, Noodle (hawk got her), Kabob (roo), Waffles, Stir Fry
Golden Comet - Nugget (hawk got her, too), Stew
Cuckoo Maran - Pot pie
Araucana - Cordon Bleu
Buff Orpington - Biscuit, Gravy
Golden Laced Wyandotte - Enchilada
Easter Egger - Fajitas

Wow 86 messages! We love show off our chicken names lol! My turn
Only eight supposedly all female
Dottie Minnie Winnie ginger Henrietta Teddy2 Honey buns Dandelion

I had a Dotty and Spotty they were sisters lol. I have a Bunny named Dandelion when I was little and a hamster at one time named Honey. I have had chickens named ginger and Henrietta but the dang fox got them BUT the dogs got that fox.

What's your farm nick-name? I don't have a farm, but if I did it would be called "The pine cone farm".

I call mine DLCR-CCB - Diamond's Little Critters Ranch - Crippled Creek Farm.
Diamond is my artist/breeder name as I breed bunnies/rats/mice and Guinea pigs.. I AM NOW learning HOW to properly do chickens and ducks. I do crippled as I had a crippled duck at one time and we do take in rescues and help them out by giving them a forever home where they will get the care they need OR help place them with the family who can help them out just as well as we can.
I like pine cone farm we have LOTS of pine trees around us. and PA is covered in pine trees lol.

I have a fandom theme going on with my chickens... both books and shows/movies.
Roosters: Russell Crow & Jean Luc
Hens: Hei Hei, Lucy, and Happy Feet
Chicks: Samwise, Winchester, Kylo Hen, Bobby Singer, Belle, and Fury. lol

OMG LOVE them theme names AWESOME! I did rats with the supernatural theme. I still have relatives but went with IZombie then the one had 3 boys only as in 3 babies that was it. lol as she was SO fat. lol. and got named after the 3 stooges. lol But for now its IZombie for a bit. I have one hen I call Humble which I think was happy feets name lol its a hen though.

My very first two hennies were Buff Orpington chicks, given to me at Easter by a family friend. I loved them so much! Their names were Sunny and Buttercup.
Later on, Sunny got killed and we bought some chicks as companions for Buttercup:
Tiny, a bantam but I don't know the breed, and Eagle, a Silver-Laced Wyandotte (to my child's eye, the several weeks old pullet looked eagle-like).
Later on I had a black Silkie named Bijou.
Several years ago, I had 2 Barred Rocks named Hennie and Pennie, and a fox got them we think. :'(
After that, I had Willow, a Silver-Laced Wyandotte; Molly, a Barred Rock, and Amira, an Egyptian Fayoumi. I loved them so much! <3

Now, I have chickies who don't yet have names. I don't name my babies until their personalities come out. I have Coronation Sussex, English Jubilee Orpingtons and hopefully soon, Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes (they're still in the 'bator)!
UPDATE: My Coro Sussex is named Duchess (now that there's a human Duchess of Sussex, too!) She is regal royalty but also very high and mighty. She is definitely Top Hen. I have a gorgeous Jubilee Orpington named JoJo. For some reason I'd been calling her Julia, but it didn't really seem to fit her. JoJo is a cute, sweet name, and JoJo is a sweet cutiepie, and 'Duchess and JoJo' sounds cute together, too!
I didn't have success with those BLRW from when I originally posted, but I have 2 dozen in lockdown, so surely I will have a success in there soon! I've got silkies in there, too, so more names shall be a-comin'! :love

I finally GOT all my new ones named (and a few I hatched out and that my hen hatched me out on mothers day) the older bantam I had all named they were outside as in ready to be out an a weasel got half. set a trap and the next day it tried to get the bigger ones and the roosters took care of him. THEN I seen on my security cameras dam crows getting in and peaking at the bantams I guess for their feed. luckly the roos where ON them. BUT the 3 large roos I have are having a time this year SO I got a Turkey. he is young YET but is already protective of babies. we have to handicapped ducks that he even goes after me if I make them yell to much lol an he is only 3 moths old. lol.
Turkey: Tuckahoe aka Tucky or tuck tuck
ones that the weasel got (Hellen, rick, morty, -Golden Seabrights Henry, Silver Sea-Bright Frisky, some small tiny thing) all bantams
Bantams: Puff, Fluff, Truffle, and Cotton, (silkis I think Puff and Truffle are roos)
Jack skeleton Pumpkin (pumpkin for short) , Sally ( golden sea-bright) Hank silver sea-bright and Samurai (sammy welssummer or something like that not sure. just the odd ball I picked
Sultan (hoping its a male black roo silki chick yet)
Boots and Disco (brantam bantams buff) disco is a roo
Trouble an Tribble (2 small brown back bantams like like old game kinds) trouble is the roo
The mothers day 5 hatch outs: Peek-a-Boo (1st one I seen) staying hes a roos. his mother is speckled Sussex his dad is my Easter Egger just by looks and colors plus I seen them breeding before hand and then he popped up.
Humble (Leghorn/Buff Orphington/Polish (came from a white egg only have one hen a as of now that lays white and she is legghorn/buff. Dad is Buff/Polish as she has the fluffy polish doo lol. she stays
Coal, Mona, Peggy (Leghorn/barred rock/Austrolorp. Cole an Peg look Barred and I only have a male barred mixed. No hens. the other is all black like my lorp hens... so dad could be anyone... but betting its my Barred/leg named Bubba lol
Them 3 are going to a new home soon.
then I had 12 chicks hatch out... 2 died in the pip.. :( one was from my Easter egger Silki hen mix I got 3 eggs from her as I seen them mate but only one hatched out... looks to be hen so its stays lol. just no name but she has 5 toes on one side and 4 that looks like 4 on the other but the 5th toe is there just never separated from the other toe. thinking of calling her odd ball lol.
Then I have one early bird chicks I called Lucy, got told it was a roo so Louie then told it was a hen again so lu lu or LU till I find out. ( I can usually feather sex up to 3/4 days old and do good)
the rest of the chicks not sure. but hubby keeps calling the one Serendipity lol its white few black spots they are Legghorn/buff/Polish mix ( they were from the neighbor an have only ONE roster a Polish. the Hens are Polish/Buff/Leghorn and there are a few hens that are leghorn/buff. THEY do have a black star, 2 Barred and one legg horn BUT all these chicks are white or buff and came from the tan eggs.
2 ducks that got hatched out a few days after mothers day 7 hatched early only 2 made it Wobbles and Quackers (mixed) Wobble looks to be pekin but has back spotting starting to look like my Ancona Ducks BUT they were not even of age yet. She was born all white lol. Quackers looks Mallard and I dont have a mallard But do have a Ruin hen... and I would say Black Swedish mix. they both have some problems so will be staying.
3 that recently hatched out.
Flash - pekin mix (quick little thing for a duck)
Mellow - Black swedish mix looking
the early one with yoke I dont know yet. maybe Yokers
waiting to see what other ducks hatch out before I make my picks. SOME I probably wont give names to as there will be a lot that may hatch out at a time, but when there are small batches I like to give them something. who ever gets them can name them what ever. :)

Last edited:
UPDATE: My Coro Sussex is named Duchess (now that there's a human Duchess of Sussex, too!) She is regal royalty but also very high and mighty. She is definitely Top Hen. I have a gorgeous Jubilee Orpington named JoJo. For some reason I'd been calling her Julia, but it didn't really seem to fit her. JoJo is a cute, sweet name, and JoJo is a sweet cutiepie, and 'Duchess and JoJo' sounds cute together, too!
I didn't have success with those BLRW from when I originally posted, but I have 2 dozen in lockdown, so surely I will have a success in there soon! I've got silkies in there, too, so more names shall be a-comin'! :love

I want to see them babies when born. I have some hatching in the incubator now and some that are a few days off to a week yet. I swear I placed them all close to age (I took some from the coop that where fertile as the dang hen and duck where siting on 20 some each. lol (some did not make it though) I thought I had another week to set the brooder up BUT some started IN the incubator. lol 1st time hatching out here. I borrowed a friends but would only keep it at 80 after a while. (he was missing the plugs for the top) so I bought one.. an the store gave me one that got returned.... they had not clue what was wrong. after about 2 weeks the heating thing quite or would not heat UP past 80.... we plugged it back in after a 3 day break an it held temp for 3 days... lol so stole to plus out of it to put in my friends and it works. (gonna see if I can get it fixed or replaced) but 2nd time around A LOT BETTER :) getting the hang of it BUT I think my hens and one male duck ( I checked he has a winky) I think incubate them better lol.

I want to see them babies when born. I have some hatching in the incubator now and some that are a few days off to a week yet. I swear I placed them all close to age (I took some from the coop that where fertile as the dang hen and duck where siting on 20 some each. lol (some did not make it though) I thought I had another week to set the brooder up BUT some started IN the incubator. lol 1st time hatching out here. I borrowed a friends but would only keep it at 80 after a while. (he was missing the plugs for the top) so I bought one.. an the store gave me one that got returned.... they had not clue what was wrong. after about 2 weeks the heating thing quite or would not heat UP past 80.... we plugged it back in after a 3 day break an it held temp for 3 days... lol so stole to plus out of it to put in my friends and it works. (gonna see if I can get it fixed or replaced) but 2nd time around A LOT BETTER :) getting the hang of it BUT I think my hens and one male duck ( I checked he has a winky) I think incubate them better lol.
I will post pictures, I promise. :) I have been losing a lot of babies in lockdown and recently figured out that altitude is a factor since my eggs have been shipped from low elevations. I did have a lot of early quitters when I first started hatching eggs, and I learned that incubator thermometers are finicky, even the top brands sometimes! I always use a hygrometer-thermometer in there to make sure, and peek in there at least once a day. Especially when the ambient temperature changes significantly, I find I have to make frequent temp adjustments to the bators. I am also adding a bit of oxygen to assist them at zipping time.
Do you have girl ducks for your drake? I would be very careful keeping a lone male duck with your hens! He can hurt or kill the hens by trying to mate with them!

Back
Top Bottom