What's in a name?

synoviaus

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Blountsville, ALabama
I thought I would ask about your pets' names. Feel free to share. Just curious what type animals you have and their names. Plus, feel free to share any interesting stories about how you come up with your names, meanings, etc. Just thought this would be interesting to share. So, I'll get us started.

We have...
Dogs:
4 Bluetick Coonhounds- We usually name our hounds"people names". Plus their registered names always begin with our kennel name- Ghost Creek.
Shelby-Ghost Creek Sweet Shelby Blue
Jane-Ghost Creek Gypsy Jane
Oz-Ghost Creek Blue Oz
Windy-Ghost Creek Blue Apache Wind

Boston Terrier Mix- Rosto
I got the name from a book. The character was Rosto the Piper who was king of the rogues/thieves. I liked the sound and it suited my new puppy. Plus, I researched it and it's Portuguese for face. So its even more fitting for a Boston Terrier Mix.

Cats: I name my cats after Kings or Queens.
My cats are named George (orange tabby) and Isabelle (solid black).

Horse- Trixie because she was named that when we got her. She's fourteen so didn't think it wise to change it.

Funniest name we have ever had- Bluetick named Nadine.

Last edited:
We aren't real original. Our latest cats were named: Yellow Cat, Smoke Stack (siameseX), and Bob Cat. Our dogs are Zoe and Zeke and the new addition Chuck. Our goats are Handsome and Cuteness. The chickens are The Girls and Stud.

Horse--registered name Party Party. We call her Izzie. Previous owner used to call her PP.
smack.gif

Dog--mixed breed named Trailblazer or Blaze for short

Cochins- Fred the rooster, Frida, Silver, Shadow and Marshmallow the hens.

EE- Twinkie. DH named him that as a joke when he was a chick. My mother desperately wants us to change his name.

Black Stars- Blackberry, Blackbird and Black Beauty and yes we can tell them apart

Gold Comets- Rosebud, Brownie, Blossom, Nellie and Arrow. Nellie is named after my great-aunt. Rosebud was originally Terminator but DH changed her name when we found out she was a hen. Arrow had an arrow shaped marking when she was a chick.

2 cats
girl named Josie
boy named Felix

8 hens only one has a name which is Betty....ee

1 horse named Daizy registered name is "Crazy Mizz Daizy"

5 dogs

girl saint is named Symphony
boy wiener dog Ozzy
boy wiener dog Scrappy
girl wiener dog Dutches
girl wiener dog Shadow

I always like these threads...i've had many, many pets, so the list is quite long, but i'll just share some of them:

Dogs: Have been Yoyo, Grover, Cassie, Sue, Jack and now Sam

Cats: In the past, Scapegoat and Frisky, currently Tika, Lou and Ciara

Guinea Pigs: Always food names...Oreo, Frosty, Peanut, Mac, Chowder

Chickens: Momma hen was Peep, she hatched out my first main flock- Uno, Bitsy, Celeste and Lucille.

Ducks: Sonny (who came with hen, Cher), Daffy, and Ernie (who turned out to be a girl)

Gerbils: Chipper and Jill and hamster Frankie

That just about covers it!

We like to think we're original:

My dogs have been:
Thunder- male black lab (named because I thought he would bark like thunder. Never occurred to me he'd be afraid of storms...)
Marley- male chocolate lab (Named because wanted something close to his original name which was "Rommie" (who thought of that?)
Pogo- male apricot poodle (named him this because he jumps...all the time.)
Vida- female Shih Tzu (raised from a 2 week old puppy on the brink of death.)

Dogs: Daisy Mae and Duke
Cats: Digit (hes double pawed), Rosco, Spike, Little Bear, Calli Lilly, Blue, Cameo
Pot belly pigs: Hammie, Dyson, Olivia
Geese: April and Averil (Averil means April... and they both were born in April..)
A few of my chicken names: Penny, Pearl, Cuckoo, Peanut, General Tso(as in Genral Tso's chinese chicken dish).. , and Colonel Sanders (as in KFC)

Dogs
Female Terrier Mix...Trisha
Male Pekingese/Pomeranian Mix....Gizmo

Horses
AQHA Mare.....Spook aka Badger Six Chick Gin
Paint Mare.....Lulu
Paint Mare.....Stormy

Hens
Cochin....Rockstar
Cochin....Battle to the Death(sweetest hen of the bunch)
Unknown Breed.....Goldie
Have a few others but haven't named them yet

Roosters
Cochin.....Dreams
Cochin.....Blackie
D'Uccle.....Napolean

Past pet names that I really liked are Buddy Boy(horse), Miss Priss(cat), and Big Mac(dog).

Last edited:
Dogs
Gipper (registered name Ch Hollyclyff One For Th Gipper - DH went to Notre Dame - puppies in this litter all had ND names)
Livy (Englelong Olivia v Hollyclyff MS - breeder named her)
Eileen (Hollyclyff Come On Eileen MS - theme for that litter was 80's songs)

Cats
Emma and Joon - already named when we got them

Horses - already named
Lacy (registered name - Smoothly Laced)
Bijoux

Chickens
Lucy, Ethel, Maybelle and Berta - just because

Bearded Dragon
Sparky - DD named him when she was 8

Turtles
Skimmer and Splash - they were both rescued from near drowning in our pool when they were hatchlings. Skimmer was stuck in the skimmer and Splash was lying motionless on the bottom of the deep end.

Current animal names:

Dogs: Sweetie - newfie/springer spaniel mix (she came from the pound as a 4 yr old with that name and it fits even at 12 years old)
Lily - white bichon also already named from a rehoming situation.
Jack - cavalier king charles
Tucker - we called him Trouble when he was really little because he was the first to try everything but I didn't want to keep a negative name so somehow it became Tucker. I didn't realize how many Tucker dogs were out there.
Sparky - his brother. He has always been the whiner of the litter from minute one. He is cautious and the last to try stuff. BUT he has an irresistable sparkle to his eye and he is a little bit of a clown. Sparkle was to girly a name so it became Sparky.

Cats: Foo 7 year old indoor/outdoor cat . Tortie shell. My daughter would never tell me how she came up with that name but it fits.
Nuggles 6 year old tortie shell that is afraid of her own shadow. We resuced her from a car engine on a very busy street. The owner of the car was going to drive off knowing full well there was a kitten stuck in his engine. I am surprised he let us get her out. Nuggles is short for Snuggles which is what she likes to do.

Back
Top Bottom