What's in the feet?

Emily26

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
My chicks I think are still too young to really tell sex and I won't be donating any to the farm until I'm 100% certain they're roos (I love them too much) but... I've noticed people posting pictures of feet to help identify sex.... what are the differences between feet between male and female?

My chicks I think are still too young to really tell sex and I won't be donating any to the farm until I'm 100% certain they're roos (I love them too much) but... I've noticed people posting pictures of feet to help identify sex.... what are the differences between feet between male and female?
None. I believe what you may be seeing is people posting shank/feet color for a breed ID.

A lot of times with birds that have legs with darker pigmentation, it can be hard to discern whether the base skin color is white or yellow. By looking at the bottoms of feet, it makes it easier to see the color, without the extra melanin on the legs overshadowing it! A good example of breeds that are easily mixed up without checking this are Australorps and Jersey Giants. With hatchery birds, the clearest visual difference is skin color :)

Yep, that's sometimes true for barred breeds I believe. Wasn't even thinking about that! I love your Buff Laced Brahma in your pfp!!
Thanks, love the ones in yours too! I only have 1 hen and 1 roo buff laced, got some of their eggs in the incubator that should hatch soon. Hopefully it goes well and I'll have a few more buff laced babies for my flock 🥰 The only downside is the roo has a single comb.

I'm curious, do you know if the pullets usually feather out at 2 weeks old with lacing on the wings? And the cockerels dont? I want to keep two pullets (with pea combs) from this hatch if everything goes well. 🤞

Thanks, love the ones in yours too! I only have 1 hen and 1 roo buff laced, got some of their eggs in the incubator that should hatch soon. Hopefully it goes well and I'll have a few more buff laced babies for my flock 🥰 The only downside is the roo has a single comb.

I'm curious, do you know if the pullets usually feather out at 2 weeks old with lacing on the wings? And the cockerels dont? I want to keep two pullets (with pea combs) from this hatch if everything goes well. 🤞
I have four and all four were females, so I can't help you too much with the differences. The males should get reddish wing patches though, so that's what I would look for! One of my pullets looked really poorly laced at first and then developed it with age, so I wouldn't think lacing would be that accurate when sexing :)

Back
Top Bottom