What's in your brooder box?

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
So I'm curious what people use for their brooder box for the flooring... Last time i used a plastic box with wood and a small piece of fleece that i had left over from my sewing stuff. It looked very comfy. I had a pet hedgehog and i used a fleece lineing for the entire cage. lol.

so, the question is....

"What's in your Brooder Box?"
(Instead of "What's in YOUR wallet" commericals. lol)

I would LOVE to see pics... :) I saw the pics in the Learning sections which were awesome.

I use pine shavings in mine. Occasionally I'll put paper towels or rubber shelf liner over the shavings for the first few days, but I only really do that with hatchery chicks. I would post pics of my brooder, but its currently empty (waiting on the peeps in my incubator to hatch :D ).
Nikki

I use pine shavings, and straw when they get older, but I've heard someone uses plant "dirt" (don't know the exact name), WITHOUT fertilizer. It absorbes well, and after they grow, you can use in your compost, and garden!
thumbsup.gif

I think I'm going to try using it when my chicks hatch. They are in the bator.
big_smile.png

I use pine shavings, and straw when they get older, but I've heard someone uses plant "dirt" (don't know the exact name), WITHOUT fertilizer. It absorbes well, and after they grow, you can use in your compost, and garden!
thumbsup.gif
I think I'm going to try using it when my chicks hatch. They are in the bator.
big_smile.png
That's a REALLY good idea! Does it have to be from the store, ir could I get away with using dirt from my yard (which the chicks get in a small pan anyway for grit and dust bathing)? The only problem I can see with it is the heat lamp could dry it out and then it'll get real dusty...what about peat moss- would that be safe? Nikki

I used straw that had been run through a wood chipper/shredder. I liked it so much that I am still using it in the coop.

That's a REALLY good idea! Does it have to be from the store, ir could I get away with using dirt from my yard (which the chicks get in a small pan anyway for grit and dust bathing)? The only problem I can see with it is the heat lamp could dry it out and then it'll get real dusty...what about peat moss- would that be safe?
Nikki
That's what I thought, but I bet peat moss would work..... I don't see why it wouldn't.
smile.png

I used shavings for most of the time that they were in the brooder. They were so dusty that at one point, I put hay in and promptly lost a chick to impacted crop (at least I THINK that is what it was). So the hay came out and shavings went back in. As they got bigger I went and got a great big bag of 'grit' for them. When I got it home, most of the chunks were nearly as big as their heads so when I found myself low on bedding, I dumped some of that in. I figured that is was surely safe if they ate it.. and dry enough to dry out poo.. Actually worked pretty well for a week.

This time I'm probably going with shavings. I've got plenty of it now that the coop is bedded in it too.

We really liked using pine pellets for the brooder. Granted, we've only done it once so far, so we're not experts!

But, it's what our family-run feed store used in their brooders. It's nice because they absorb more than pine shavings, and when they break down into sawdust, the wet sawdust falls to the bottom under the remaining whole pellets. So you know when it's time to change when they're all broken down and wet or dirty.

Some people use them in the coop too, but we found that they moved around (and out of the coop) too often. But in the brooder, we really liked how they worked and kept the smell down.

This is just a sample of what I mean. I can't remember if this is the brand, but they are often marketed for horse bedding.

http://www.guardianhorsebedding.com/pinepellets.htm

Back
Top Bottom