What's in YOUR Emergency Poultry Kit?

I have:
Gauze pads
cotton swabs
cotton balls
vet wrap
Latex free gloves (I'm sure latex would be fine but I'm allergic)
Nutri-Drench
Plain epsom salts
Plain Neosporin
Varied syringes (from 1/2 ml to 5 or 10 ml)
aquarium tubing (for tube feeding)
Sav-A-Chick
Valbazen (de-wormer)
Cornstarch
Veterycyn
Fish Mox
250 mg calcium citrate pills (for humans, but works for egg bound issues)
Vaseline
Small pair scissors
flashlight.
Hand sanitizer

Hope this helps! I probably forgot something. I want to add Hydrogen Peroxide and a few other things but haven't gotten to it yet.

I keep it in a tool storage bin type of thing with a list of expiration dates and "Chicken First Aid" on the front.

As a human doctor, there's two things you should have in your medicine cabinet. First, ditch the Vetricyn and use Hibiclens diluted, instead. Hibiclens is what we use to scrub with before surgeries. After 10 minutes of it applied, it kills ALL bacteria, viruses, fungus and yeast, AND it keeps killing them for a full 24-48 hours! It doesn't sting or dry skin out like Povidone iodine, so use it instead of Vetricyn. Then for a wound cream, use Silvadene. It's prescription but any doctor or vet will give it to you. It's not super expensive, but use Good RX coupon if you need to. Silvadene has silver in it and it heals wounds in much faster than Bacitracin. It will discolor from white to a gray black color. That's normal when it's exposed to air. Just clean wounds the next day with Hiubiclens (found in the wound care isle at pharmacy) and re-apply Silvadene.

I'd add: Vet wrap, bandage scissors,

Let me look up the powder to apply to kill maggots ... Got it on Ebay from overseas for my horse. She had a wound that vet thought was contaminated with parasite. It's called:

Bayer Negasunt Dusting Powder​

Last edited:
Just updated the first post with helpful links
You may want to add disclosure to your update that those are affiliate links🤭
While I don't mind supporting a person/channel/website///, etc., etc., (I often DO!)I go into it knowing that's what I'm doing🙂

examples of affiliate links showing in the address.
https://www.amazon.com/AUPCON-Adher...+wrap&qid=1626886417&sr=8-8&linkCode=sl1&tag=wolfbranch-20&linkId=6695686c919d1b2d0bc680836296c8c1&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

https://www.amazon.com/BOVIDR-LABOR...rench&qid=1626886461&sr=8-5&linkCode=sl1&tag=wolfbranch-20&linkId=cdd64aa1b8c791dfe52f0de803c3e155&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

I am bumping this post so it is easier for you all to find, and in hopes maybe others will share items that were not included in this list!

Thanks to you all, I created a Mother Earth News blog post and now a little more elaboration on it for a video. Pardon some terrible camera work here as of late! I hope to make a better quality version to come. I made sure to give BYC a special shoutout

Back
Top Bottom