What's in YOUR run: sand, dirt, pine nuggets, etc?

Mine is filled with leaves and pine needles and the Cluckies love it. When it really starts to break down, I rake and put it in the compost bin and toss out a fresh layer and let them distribute it.

Mine is grass now... but they are only spending about half their time outside... once they are out full time I am guessing it will all go to dirt. BUT, next Spring I had this idea to kind of treat their run like a horse pasture: block off half and let the grass grow, and alternate back and forth? Has anyone tried this? Our run is about 40 feet by 12 feet for our 8 gals.

My chickens are free range during the day but they have a run that is half covered. I have tried everything.....since my chickens are free range, they eat everything and get worms constantly, so I had to stop using straw, shavings, etc. in the run because it was just was a lot of work, a lot of money and it would blow all over my property making an even bigger mess and since the chickens like to eat it and scratch through it, if they are shedding worms and eggs, not good. Finally I got smart and filled the run with a mixture of sand, DE and when available ash from our woodstove. I now just rake the poo out daily and it is soooooo much cleaner and easier. However, I live in CO and we don't have a flea problem, if I was living somewhere with a heavy flea population, I might have to rethink. Anyway, the system works and it smells much better. Now I don't have to mix up sep. sand boxes with DE for them to dust themselves in.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom