What's Lucy saying?

GlovesB

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Felton, CA
Whenever Lucy gets in the nesting box to lay, she makes a chattering noise. She doesn't seem to be agitated. I actually can open the box and pet her while she's in there. Anyone have a clue to wether she's happy or unhappy?

While she's in the box, it's a little chatter. After she done her business...it's the almighty Egg Song! :) I have a video but not sure if I can post it!

Last edited:
My SL wyandotte sometimes makes this screeching noise at me when I open the nest box to pet while she's laying. But I can tell she's annoyed then, haha.

Some of my girls quietly 'croon' to themselves while they are getting ready to lay.

They will cover themselves with little bits of hay and sing quietly to themselves.

I think it's a sign they are in their 'happy place.'

Like yours, I can pat mine when they are like this too.

I think it's definitely a good sign that all is well.

- Krista

What you're describing is the nesting vocal. It's very distinct from any other of their vocals. It's a very low, chattering deep in the throat. When a hen is even so much as thinking of heading into a nest box, she may make this sound, telegraphing her plans. The rooster often will accompany the hen to the box and even help her get comfortable, also making this low, chattering sound. Just the other day, I saw another hen do this while her sister was digging herself into the nesting material, hovering over her as she arranged the wood shavings around herself. It's very different from the squawking a hen will do when she wants to co-opt the nest another hen is occupying.

It's one of the most endearing, comforting noises our chickens make, second only to the contented trilling baby chicks make when tucking themselves in for a night's sleep together in their little piles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom