What's next...

Jenns Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
Finally got the girls to come into their coop at night. It's been raining for two days and the stay in the rain. Is this normal? You would think they would come in out of the rain but they won't.:(

It has been 37-41 the last 2 days here and mine are still going out in the rain. I am in the south so this is really cold for us. I don't think the chickens notice as much as we do. Mine have always loved the rain whereas I became the crazy chicken lady yelling at them to get their spoiled butts out of the rain. You have to think when all chickens were wild they had to deal with rain all the time because the safest spot for them to roost was on a tree branch. Make sure they have a wide roost in the coop and they will be fine. The purpose of a wide roost (3 inches or more) is so that they can lay on their feet to keep them warm.

yep they will stand out in the rain and will only seek shelter if they feel like it. it rains about 90% of the time where I live and even though there is plenty of shelter for them to hang out in, they still will be out in the rain foraging unless it rains super hard then they take cover. however it is hilarious when it hails they all run out and start eating up the little ice balls.

I'm in the PNW. If my birds didn't go out in the rain, they'd be coop bound until May
roll.png
They come in if it's really pouring, otherwise they like that the rain brings out the worms.

Back
Top Bottom