What's that dance called that drakes do after mating?

Lordy my drake does it too! I just thought he was being weird. Guess not!!!! Probably a victory lap.....lol.

I'm new to ducks and my 4 girls lately when I'm around they have been doing a weird dance. I have no Drake so it's not from getting lucky. Is it just them being weird or they think its close to spring since its been warmer here in Iowa? I'm hoping its them wiggling eggs around to actually give me some eggs.

I shall say this as delicately as I can.

Ducks really enjoy themselves. They are not very inhibited. So when they are "feeling it," they express themselves by the dance, the wing flaps, my runners like to make "turkey tails" in the water, splashing everything and everyone within a four foot radius.

Fresh swim water sometimes seems to bring on more of the above behavior. As does the arrival of spring. And they have no restrictions on who plays hop on top with whom, in my experience.

And the girls act so coy, bobbing their heads as they swim up to a drake. The hussies will even stretch out their necks in blatant invitation.

I got a stock tank so my ducks could actually dive and do some submarine swimming. Joyful pairs of ducks swoosh and dive and stand and flap.... And then somebody bobs a head.....

Victory lap. My drakes love to do it. Especially our top drake. He is a heavy mater, heavy victory lap dancer. LOL My females seldom play hop on top usually just the males with the females. My poor girls always look like they are drowning. My Pekin drake totally submerges the girls but despite my concerns they always bob back up to the top and she speeds away and shakes her feathers off and he does a lap or 2 around her.

Mine often hum afterwards too...a deep sounding hum, a drawn-out single note coupled with a stretching upward of the head and neck.

Back
Top Bottom