What's that sound? It's somebirdy crowing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunny Side Up, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Right now I have 2 batches of chicks I'm brooding in rabbit cages on a table in my screened-in patio. They're just a few feet away from the window over the kitchen sink so I can easily see and hear them. Yesterday I heard a sound coming from the cages that sounded like somebird was in distress, or being strangled. One cage has 15 1-week-old Cornish Cross chicks, the other has a mixed batch of chicks ranging in ages from 2-5.5 weeks old.

In that second cage is a little Dutch bantam boy. It's been evident that he was a he from about 3 weeks of age, his tiny comb began then to turn first a deep pink, then salmon, and now a decided red. His little wattles are beginning to show under his beak, looking like a teenaged boy whose beard whiskers are starting to sprout.

It turns out the squeaky-wheezy sound we were hearing were this little man-child's first attempts at crowing! We watched as he got up on the roost, stretched out his thin little neck, opened his beak and squeezed out a noise.

I know that he was trying to impress all the other chickies in his cage and the cage beyond. But we all couldn't help but laugh & laugh.

2. [​IMG] OK that sounds adorable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by