What's the best chicken treat???

Raising your own mealworms is supposed to be fairly easy, I know a lady in town who grows them for her pet reptiles and often posts the extras on FreeCycle. I don't know what method she uses, but I just Googled "raising mealworms" and found lots of sites with info. One was http://www.efinch.com/mealworms/mealworm.htm

Sometimes
I'll find clots of mealworms when I'm adding to & turning the compost pile. I'll call the chickens over so they can have themselves a little party in the compost bin.

Otherwise, I think good old corn is my chickens' favorite treat, on the cob when I can get it cheap, and cracked. They also like the birdseed from the feeders. I have one little bantam roo who will fly up to the feeders, plastic saucers attatched to the tops of 6' posts, and scratch through it to eat. All the others flock to the ground around the post, waiting for Bill to kick out seed for them. They look like adoring fans crowding the stage to see their favorite music star, calling Bill! Bill! Bill!!! We love you Bill!!!

Quote:
Ours like bananas, too, but they always kinda go "yuck" and wipe their beaks on the grass. They can have em, lots of people treat theirs with bananas.
smile.png

In my Italian household there is always pasta in the house, so i make extra for my girls they truly love it, but then they ARE Italian chickens you know, LOL.

AL

We tried mealworms early on too and my girls went nuts. They like to get in our bird feeders and kick out all of the seeds just to find the perfect one.

I just discovered the other night that they love spaghetti noodles. They like grapes too.

My husband taught them early on that if he lifts up rocks around the property and call them with his "chick, chick" song they come running!
D.gif

mine love kale and worms and carrot tops,squash...i want to try cheerios..but i'm afraid of them choking..do you break them up?..mine were choking on carrot tops!...i found one running around with some hanging out of her mouth..i picked her up and saw she swallowed the whole top in one piece!...i had to pull like 6 inches out of her throat!..now i cut them up..but geez!..what else can they choke on??...grapes??cheerios??..they swallowed the earth worms whole though with no problems...
idunno.gif
..Wendy

I would have said watermelon and grapes until Miss Prissy put the yogurt idea in my head...

...I started with vanilla yogurt...

All I can say is Zowie!!!!....

they go nuts for it and it flies everywhere!

Mine eat about any thing from the garden.

Yogurt with black berry pulp, sunflower seed hearts was a big hit. As different fruits come in to season they get their share. Froze some black berry pulp for them since had alot left over from jellymaking. Will give them some of that on hot days.

Been growing a patch of turnips just for them. They chow down on the greens. Just sowed a new patch for them.

Cricket season has started so they will get alot of those to nibble on.

ML

Back
Top Bottom