Whats the best dual purpose bird?

Oh so manny to pick from... IMO Dominique, Barred Rocks, or Black Sex Link. Everyone will have a different opinion. Good Luck

I agree with the BR. I just processed some and they had a nice shape to them. Much plumper than the Barnyard Specials that were BR mixes. They are great layers and friendly birds. I also happen to think they're very pretty! Obviously the Dominiques would be almost identical.

I hadn't thought of the black sex-links! They are nice large birds that are excellent layers. I also did a red-star that was an egg eater. I had gotten her from someone, so she wasn't as big as mine, but she still had quite a bit of meat on her!

Shelly

As one newbie (I'm trying to get my town to allow chickens), to another, I say do a lot of research about YOUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS.

One breed could be absolutely perfect to one person and yet be the worst possible choice to someone who lives in a different climate with different needs.

First suggestion: Pick a breed you like the looks of. I have a strong antipathy against the color brown and decided that there are enough chicken breeds in the world that I don't need to look at chickens I find ugly. No RIR's, Buckeye, etc. for me -- not because they are bad birds (I have every reason to believe they're excellent), but because I wouldn't enjoy having them if I didn't enjoy looking at them.

Second suggestion: Consider your climate. I live in the steamy southeast where summer temperatures are well above chicken optimal for several months on end. I pretty much had to eliminate Wyandottes from consideration because they are cold-adapted birds who are reported to suffer more from high temps than many other breeds.

Third suggestion: Consider your soil. Recently I read a thread from a newbie in the soggy northwest where the experts reported that the feather-footed breeds were very badly suited to wet and muddy conditions.

Fourth suggestion: Consider how you will keep them. Some breeds are suited for free range/pastured methods. Some breeds are suited for confinement in urban backyards.

Once you've weeded out the chickens that are unsuited to your situation you'll probably still have plenty to choose from depending on what you want in the way of meat, eggs, temperament, show potential, etc.
smile.png

Personally, if my town council finds my case persuasive I'll be getting Australorps and Delawares.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom