Whats the best farm animal to keep predators away?????

Quote:
Literally.
hide.gif

My coop is about 20' from my fenced backyard where the dogs run during the day. They are barky, assertive dogs and certainly make the area smell doggy.
smile.png
We have skunks, possums, fox and coyotes around here. We also have hawks. I have seen one possum around my coops about two years ago. It is no longer with us. Other than that I have been very fortunate. All I can figure is that the barking and doggy smell have helped to keep the predators away.
idunno.gif

I have been told by many people that if you are trying to protect sheep and goats that you can't do better than a llama. Apparently they are ferocious with all things canine. I've heard the same thing about donkeys. Both will apparently go to the dog/wolf/coyote and stomp the life out of it.

Quote:
smile.png
THANKS for the tip~before I run my legs off looking for one~also I didn't know if I should start w/ an Egg~newly hatched Baby~Teen or go w/ an Adult ?
cool.png

Who needs guard animals - the other evening I went out to the coop to find my chickens finishing off a weasel. Tough girls!

My two barn cats are all I need. I feed them and provide shelter and lounging areas by the coops. They pretty much hang out there 24/7 - except when they know I'm coming home then they sit in front of the garage door waiting - wouldn't want me to forget their dinner.

Haven't had any problems with predators and I know they are out there. I've seen plenty of coons, weasels and fox around here. Last year were even had coyote pups playing in the yard in the evenings. I'm not sure if they can smell the cats and it scares them away or what. It's a good thing my runs are covered cuz the hawks have been crazy around here - the cats can't keep them away.

Back
Top Bottom