What's the best goose for protection on a farm?

Connie White

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Cedar Bluff, Alabama
I have chickens and ducks - even a German Shepherd to guard them, but he's not always as verbal as I'd like. I am considering getting a goose to help protect my free ranging fowl. I went to a 'trade' show once and this one goose almost tore out of its cage to get to my dog - he's one hundred pounds and has very long fur - looks like a bear so, it was a very aggressive goose! My question is - what goose do you recommend for an alert system and protection for the flock? Do I need more than one? and my last question - how much should I expect from the goose? (i.e. can a raccoon eat it? what all will it protect agains?) Now, I don't want my cats and kid to get eaten in the process but could use some extra help around the farm!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Connie

I have chickens and ducks - even a German Shepherd to guard them, but he's not always as verbal as I'd like. I am considering getting a goose to help protect my free ranging fowl. I went to a 'trade' show once and this one goose almost tore out of its cage to get to my dog - he's one hundred pounds and has very long fur - looks like a bear so, it was a very aggressive goose! My question is - what goose do you recommend for an alert system and protection for the flock? Do I need more than one? and my last question - how much should I expect from the goose? (i.e. can a raccoon eat it? what all will it protect agains?) Now, I don't want my cats and kid to get eaten in the process but could use some extra help around the farm!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Connie
Geese are all bluff, they can sound the alarm but most likely right after will be killed, they have no defence against something with teeth. they can bluff humans because they act aggressive and bite, but against a predator even one as small as a raccoon they would be killed. And during mating season the ganders are very protective and even the goose if she is sitting so small children would have to be only allowed around them when supervised. I don't even allow my teenage grandchildren to be in with my geese if I'm not with them. Much better to be safe than sorry. Geese are wonderful to have around a farm but demand respect and protection.

I agree with Miss Lydia on everything she says, but I view my "goose brigade" a little differently. I believe my little group of 4 geese annoy the hawks enough that they typically stay away. I used to have a hawk that would sit on the fence post trying to pick out the tastiest chicken I guess. I have not had any hawk losses since the geese began patrolling.

On the other hand the geese are smart enough not to try and intimidate the bald eagle. I have had eagle losses. It is very interesting to me that when the hawk flies over all the chickens run for cover, but when the eagle lands on a tree in the yard they freeze where they are - even in the middle of an open space - they don't move a feather.

My geese would be no protection from a fox, coyote, dog or a big raccoon. They bite at the woodchuck, she just give them a dirty look. The shed skunk (don't ask) they pay no attention to, she can walk right through their pen.

Oh, and they absolutely do not tolerate ducks mating in their presence. They go right over and pull the male off the female.

So the geese have their place, they will raise the alarm, which seems to be enough for the hawks to find quieter food.

So, what breed is it that you have? I don't think the ducks would like that LOL - my drake especially - right now, there's a good harmony between the ducks, chickens, cats and dog. I'm actually thinking about putting a baby monitor in my coop - maybe this way - if something very threatening comes in - I will have a better chance of knowing. Will geese go after ducklings or chicks? What's the worse thing about having them - I just want to know more as they seem to be way more than a 'duck' or 'chicken' when considering to buy one!

Are geese pretty good at coming into a barn at night for 'lock up' - do they just eat what the ducks eat? The one major thing one friend didn't like was all the poop - it would stay on his front porch or even make its way into his house, then poop everywhere - I have this problem already though in the garage - sheesh.

Thanks for y'alls information.

So, what breed is it that you have? I don't think the ducks would like that LOL - my drake especially - right now, there's a good harmony between the ducks, chickens, cats and dog. I'm actually thinking about putting a baby monitor in my coop - maybe this way - if something very threatening comes in - I will have a better chance of knowing. Will geese go after ducklings or chicks? What's the worse thing about having them - I just want to know more as they seem to be way more than a 'duck' or 'chicken' when considering to buy one!

Are geese pretty good at coming into a barn at night for 'lock up' - do they just eat what the ducks eat? The one major thing one friend didn't like was all the poop - it would stay on his front porch or even make its way into his house, then poop everywhere - I have this problem already though in the garage - sheesh.

Thanks for y'alls information.
My 2 geese are very moody and territorial right now {mating season] they have not been nice to the ducks or chickens, matter of fact I have to keep my mama hens and their chicks in another fenced in area after my 2 geese had them cornered up against the fence with their wings spread getting ready to attack, and that was only after I had opened the gate for like 10 min.They do not like it when a mama hen tells them to get away from her chicks,
roll.png
Geese will eat the same feed as ducks and chickens but require alot of grazing time, if you have grass they will keep it cut for you. Even with the stinkerish personality they are both displaying right now [should be over soon] mating season is the worst, I could not imagine not having my 2. But again other than maybe giving a warning sound they aren't much protection at all for the rest of the flock, my roosters are actually better at giving the warning everyone listens to them. MY 2 geese are too wrapped up in each other to care what happens to any other member of the flock.
roll.png
and yep poop is much bigger thank the Lord for hoses. My geese go into their house every night with out a problem My gander has been doing it for almost 6years he has taught my goose, they are use to the routine, thats important. I have an Embden gander and a Toulouse goose.

Last edited:
I have a pair of beautiful pomeranean saddleback geese. I got them at 2 1/2 months and made the mistake of penning them up the first few days but letting them out and then trying to get them back into a large kennel...to no avail. I was able to catch the female but the male eluded me. Now they run to me a.m. and p.m. but I don't pen/have been unable to herd them into an enclosed area. They stay close to my back porch that has an overhang so I put straw and a board over the area for some type of wind break/shelter. We have built them a "goose house" that they have only gotten into once...do you have any suggestions? I realize they may be in danger and I would be so upset if something happened to them! They are still foraging a lot on the five acres we have mowed and hang out near the chicken coop during the day where I keep a radio going day and night as a deterrent. your suggestions are welcomed! :)

I have a pair of beautiful pomeranean saddleback geese. I got them at 2 1/2 months and made the mistake of penning them up the first few days but letting them out and then trying to get them back into a large kennel...to no avail. I was able to catch the female but the male eluded me. Now they run to me a.m. and p.m. but I don't pen/have been unable to herd them into an enclosed area. They stay close to my back porch that has an overhang so I put straw and a board over the area for some type of wind break/shelter. We have built them a "goose house" that they have only gotten into once...do you have any suggestions? I realize they may be in danger and I would be so upset if something happened to them! They are still foraging a lot on the five acres we have mowed and hang out near the chicken coop during the day where I keep a radio going day and night as a deterrent. your suggestions are welcomed! :)
Geese herd real well but you may need help at first till they catch on to what your wanting. start by putting their food right next to where you want them to go at night then close up the gate if its fenced in, if not maybe put up something temporary till they get the hang of it. Once they get use to eating next to their house then start putting them inside at night they will get use to it and most of all you can rest well knowing the coyotes, foxes weasels raccoons and all the rest of the preds won't be dining on your birds. when herding open your arms wide and direct them where you want them to go or use long poles as arm extensions. Mine are fenced on 1/2 acre and I can walk behind mine slowly and they will go right in their house, Geese are smart and learn fast. You might try treats too as an incentive to come close to their house of an evening before dark mine love whole dried corn as a treat . Once you get them isndie their run close the gate and toss out some corn as a reward But rmember they have to have fresh water everytime they eat so make sure before putting them to bed if you hand out treats that they get a good drink of water.

Welcome to BYC @countr1chick

Back
Top Bottom