What's the best inexpensive chicken feed?

Don't trust Google for anything chicken related, Google says what Google paid to say and whatever gets clicked most. Pellets are perfectly fine.:]

Not likely either, she'd go down hill for awhile, not just keel over.
What was her age? Complete diet? Breed? Any other symptoms?
No symptoms!! She was a Orpington. She was 3 1/2 yrs young! She was not sick days prior or that morning and late morning! It wasn't because of heat, I keep water through my yard cold for them and wet their shade to stay cool in!

Don't trust Google for anything chicken related, Google says what Google paid to say and whatever gets clicked most. Pellets are perfectly fine.:]

Not likely either, she'd go down hill for awhile, not just keel over.
What was her age? Complete diet? Breed? Any other symptoms?
Her diet was Xcell pellets and regular chicken scratch same as the others. I throw 2 cups of scratch out a day. They're also free range all day in my yard. So I bugs and grass and stuff.

Google said pellets are not that good. That's why I was asking if tjere was another or different type. We pay $22 for 30lb bag of Xcell pellets.
$22/30# is $0.73/lb - in most areas of the country, a superior feed should be available more cheaply. Hells, you can go to Chewy and pay shipping costs and get Kalmbach 20% more cheaply than that.

I'd love to see the guaranteed nurition label.

also, Google is good for "collective wisdom". The collective doesn't know anything about feeding chickens, and google resuls reflect that. There is nothing wrong with pelleted food, per se, and some things to recommend it over other options.

That seems like a lot, but not likely what killed her. Scratch is to chickens what candy is to kids. Give them all they want of it, and they won't eat their nutritious food - the pellets, which are (or should be) balanced nutrients, protein, etc. A little scratch teaches your birds you're the good guy and they should come when you call. Otherwise, IMO, they don't need it.

I had 16 but she died so I have 15 including my rooster. Their feedbin is all the way full of pellets 24-7 and they're out eating grubs and such

That seems like a lot, but not likely what killed her. Scratch is to chickens what candy is to kids. Give them all they want of it, and they won't eat their nutritious food - the pellets, which are (or should be) balanced nutrients, protein, etc. A little scratch teaches your birds you're the good guy and they should come when you call. Otherwise, IMO, they don't need it.
This is the nutrition label on their pellets. And how big the cup is for scratch. I take the scratch and pour handfuls thought the yard so there's a pile for each chicken and a little more.

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_202002525.jpg
    IMG_20230701_202002525.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230701_202125113.jpg
    IMG_20230701_202125113.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 17
$22/30# is $0.73/lb - in most areas of the country, a superior feed should be available more cheaply. Hells, you can go to Chewy and pay shipping costs and get Kalmbach 20% more cheaply than that.

I'd love to see the guaranteed nurition label.

also, Google is good for "collective wisdom". The collective doesn't know anything about feeding chickens, and google resuls reflect that. There is nothing wrong with pelleted food, per se, and some things to recommend it over other options.
I posted the label

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_202002525.jpg
    IMG_20230701_202002525.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom