What's the best material to lay down in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chelseaboy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. chelseaboy

chelseaboy New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    Its pretty wet here this time of year, and I have straw on the outside part of their coop, which gets pretty soggy (the inside part is nice and dry). What's the best material to use? Pine shavings? Something else?

Cheers!

Norm

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Pine shavings are said to be better than straw because sometimes straw can harbor mites and lice (so I have read on this board anyway). I only have experience with pine shavings using the deep litter method.

Now I just hose everything out once a week and for my shed coop treat the whole floor like a poop board and scrape up. I put shavings in the nest boxes though. Oh and in my rabbit hutches turned chicken coops.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    River sand IMO is the best!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sand sand sand! Norm, I've tried everything and sand is the best. It can get wet, and it drains off nicely, and it's not as stinky. Just rake the top lightly and get rid of the poop. You will have a soggy mess with wood shavings, same with hay........if it rains directly on the chicken run.

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I think you are asking for inside the coop. Sand is great for outside. inside most people use pine shavings. some use straw.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I used pine shavings inside the coop.On the outside I have leaves and straw.I rake it up once in a while and replace with new stuff.

7. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:I use river sand inside and outside. River sand drains exceptionally well outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by