What's the best material to lay down in the coop?

chelseaboy

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Its pretty wet here this time of year, and I have straw on the outside part of their coop, which gets pretty soggy (the inside part is nice and dry). What's the best material to use? Pine shavings? Something else?

Cheers!

Norm

Pine shavings are said to be better than straw because sometimes straw can harbor mites and lice (so I have read on this board anyway). I only have experience with pine shavings using the deep litter method.

Now I just hose everything out once a week and for my shed coop treat the whole floor like a poop board and scrape up. I put shavings in the nest boxes though. Oh and in my rabbit hutches turned chicken coops.

Last edited:
Sand sand sand! Norm, I've tried everything and sand is the best. It can get wet, and it drains off nicely, and it's not as stinky. Just rake the top lightly and get rid of the poop. You will have a soggy mess with wood shavings, same with hay........if it rains directly on the chicken run.

I used pine shavings inside the coop.On the outside I have leaves and straw.I rake it up once in a while and replace with new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom