What's the best sub in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lucy4, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Songster

So I've heard plastic eggs, white stones, and golf balls to put in the nest box to encourage pullets to lay in the correct place. Which has been most successful for you? [​IMG]

2. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    We used 3 small plastic easter eggs. They worked really well. Only one egg wasn't layed in the boxes.
    Some people say that golf balls work well, though. Your preference.

[​IMG] Ask not why the chicken crossed the road, but why the road got in the way of the chicken. [​IMG]

3. sandy sea

sandy sea Songster

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I just left a real egg in my new nest box, and it worked.

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I didn't use anything figuring the hens are going to know what to do on their own.

Maybe I have smart girls, as they started laying at 20 wks and three weeks later I'm getting 8 eggs daily in one of 5 nest boxes.

5. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I use golf ball. A year later if I switch which of the two boxes it is in, they will still lay in which ever one has the ball!

6. Lucy4

Lucy4 Songster

Yeah, well... my girls are cute but they're not smart. [​IMG] Hence the question. I don't want them to lay in the bush anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will go out tomorrow, and buy either golf balls or plastic easter eggs (whichever I find first.) I'll try a real egg tonight in the meantime. Though I have a feeling this will take time, longer than a grocery egg stays fresh. [​IMG]

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    bygones75 -

Maybe they don't like the current nest boxes. Try putting a covered cat litter box with shavings for them to lay in.

I have two litter boxes and plastic tub I had on hand in addition to banty brooder turned on its side that all get used daily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use golf balls.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. OCChicken

OCChicken In the Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  10. OCChicken

OCChicken In the Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I only have 1 of my 5 hens laying, a not quite 17 week BR. After she layed the first egg I put a couple golf balls in the laying box to encourage her some more, well it only encouraged our Red Sexlink to lay on it so I removed them as I was worried it would make the Sexlink broody. Our BR has since layed 4 eggs in 4 days, all in the laying box without a sub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: