What's the best way to "cleanse" a newly empty run???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sianara, Oct 26, 2008.

1. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I got rid of all my silkie chickens last month and now their coop/run is empty.

I'm thinking I'll probably get more bantams and house them in this coop/run next year and am wondering what the best way to "cleanse" the run is so I won't have a problem bringing new birds into this environment. The run has sand and is about 4 inches deep. When the silkies were on it, I would use my hoe/rake to fluff up the sand about once a month or so and the rain seemed to keep it fresh looking/smelling.

I'm thinking I should probably be "treating" the sand now before winter/snow sets in so it'll be all set next spring.

Would DE or garden safe lime be the best choice OR does someone have another alternative/suggestion?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I hope someone has an answer for you, I really don't know [​IMG]

I would say the lime would be fine if you treated now, but that's not an educated guess from me.

3. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    Were the silkies healthy if so probably some DE raked in then I would rake deeply a couple of times before snow if you get it, if not maybe once a month sun/rain kills a lot. If birds with illness sometimes a lot more needs to be done.....like not use for a couple of years, but that is rare.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Food Grade DE. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by