What's the best way to "cleanse" a newly empty run???

sianara

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Central MA
I got rid of all my silkie chickens last month and now their coop/run is empty.

I'm thinking I'll probably get more bantams and house them in this coop/run next year and am wondering what the best way to "cleanse" the run is so I won't have a problem bringing new birds into this environment. The run has sand and is about 4 inches deep. When the silkies were on it, I would use my hoe/rake to fluff up the sand about once a month or so and the rain seemed to keep it fresh looking/smelling.

I'm thinking I should probably be "treating" the sand now before winter/snow sets in so it'll be all set next spring.

Would DE or garden safe lime be the best choice OR does someone have another alternative/suggestion?

Last edited:
I hope someone has an answer for you, I really don't know
roll.png

I would say the lime would be fine if you treated now, but that's not an educated guess from me.

Were the silkies healthy if so probably some DE raked in then I would rake deeply a couple of times before snow if you get it, if not maybe once a month sun/rain kills a lot. If birds with illness sometimes a lot more needs to be done.....like not use for a couple of years, but that is rare.

Back
Top Bottom