What's the best way to let your neighbors know???

Quote:
This is where I get it (I'm only showing you these because of the info in the auctions...not affiliated with this person in any way) I use a cup or two sprinkled on the coop floor each time I clean it and then I put the new shavings/bedding over it. I also sift some DE over the shavings (diatomaceous earth...food grade codex only!!) The DE mainly works by drying out the manure, thus eliminating ammonia and making the manure unfit for flies to lay eggs in. It's good for parasite control too...my chicks love to take dust baths in the shavings when I put DE on them.

Click on this link and then scroll down for info on zeolite

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeolite-Granule...5556873QQihZ017QQcategoryZ43510QQcmdZViewItem

Click on this link and then scroll down for info on DE

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-lbs-Diatomac...6900675QQihZ017QQcategoryZ61586QQcmdZViewItem

I agree with Rhett&SarahsMom...keep everything as clean as you can.

Oh and mention that you are trying to be more self-sustaining and "going green". After all, your chickens will eat most of your veggie waste, give you natural composting material for your gardens and provide eggs for you so you don't have to support those poor caged chicken egg producers.

I love what TheChickenLady said and totally agree ...
Just raise your chickens as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Don't alert anyone to it.​

Neighbors can surprise you. When I told the first ones, they were like "oh boy chicken poop- that stuff is great for the garden." I thought I was going to have to bribe them with eggs and they want the poop.

Considering the other thread, I think you will legeally be allowed to keep your chickens outside as long as you don't make money off of them.

just wanna say good luck.....we told our neighbors long befor the chickens got here. They said they are fine with it (we are outside city limits) the only problem i see in the future is the neighbor that called the cops when we had a burn barrel, and the same one that called the cops when we got a new stereo in our truck and we "tested it out" at 6pm....and this all happened AFTER we moved in and gave them our numbers and told them if they ever had a problem with us to please call us first.....so we are just waiting to see how long it takes them to call on our chickens. but so far so good.......but they also have a sign every few months about "chihauhau puppies" and we have those little ankle bitters barking at our fence all the time...so I think we made peice when the dogs barked at our chicks...but who knows....
anyways...good luck, if the neighbor is going to backsidehole you about moving...she will prolly backsidehole you on chickens.
Just try to talk to her first and feel her out and see what you get from that.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

If there are restrictions on the keeping of poultry/livestock in your town then your neighbor is WELL WITHING HER LEGAL RIGHTS to call the appropriate athorities to report your violations of the cities legal codes.

Jim

thanks for the heads-up, Nazi-Pete.​

Neighbors...can't live next to em, can't shoot em...no matter how much you may want to at times!
I had the misfortune to inherit neighbor problems from my ex-husbands father, when we bought the place I now own off of him. This piece of property has been in my ex's family for over 45 years, its rural, zoned for livestock, and is pretty rustic, no matter how many yuppies move in and try and tell themselves that they are making it the new Aspen, its still Flagstaff, and its still "Poverty with a view".
My neighbor from hell moved in about 10 years ago and decided that he was going to clean up his place and he started by renting a dozer and dumping a bunch of rocks under some trees that he thought were on his property. When father in law told him,(politely) that those werent his trees and he kinda would appreciate it if he would quit dumping the rocks on our property, the guy went off on him and called the cops. Surveys ensued, and it turned out that not only did the trees belong to us, but an additional 2 feet of the guys property did as well. Ever since then, things have been tense. I wondered why my dogs always barked psychotically when the guy drove by, one day the guy claimed that my elderly Aussie bit him through the fence, he called my house and got ugly and threatning with me on the phone so I called the cops. My dog went to doggie jail, he got hauled in for beating his wife. Another neighbor tells me that bad neighbor had been reaching over the fence abusing my dogs, and when my dog snapped at him for hurting her, he caught his hand in the fence, there is now a 6 ft plank fence between us and that summer he had my horse corral and 8 fly bags directly upwind of his patio. He yells at my kids for playing in the yard and making noise, he calls planning and zoning and complains about anything I do on that part of my property, and I just have to factor in the aggravation factor and and expect some visits from code enforcement every summer. I started construction on my new coop a few weeks ago, and I warned my kids that the neighbor would be going off pretty soon, and true to form, no sooner than we placed the materials on that side of the yard, than the neighbor came stomping over to our front gate, yelling and screaming for my 12 year old son. I had been out in the back part of the property shooting an old daisy bbgun, and the neighbor thought it was my son, thus his yelling for him. When I came up to the gate with the gun, he puffed and blew and made threats to call the cops and accused me of shooting into his patio,(impossible with the weapon I was using) and when I offered him my phone to call the police, he just stomped back home.
I have put up with his 5 little yap dogs starting in at 0430 every morning, his attempts to bully my kids, the junk he has stacked all over his yard in violation of code, and his general jerkiness, but the big thing is, I dont know where the guy gets off thinking he can talk to me or my family the way he tries to to talk to us. He is no better than us, in fact, if his wife ever wised up and left him, he would be in a world of hurt, but he talks to people like he is king boss, and it ticks me off. He brings the Southern and the Texan in me to the surface, and I dont know why he keeps forgetting that he lives downwind.
I tried to be nice, he just got snotty and arrogant and tried to tell me what I could and couldnt do with my land. If I gave him eggs, he would sue me for something, so he wont be getting any.
Some people are just jerks. You cant be nice to them, you cant be friends with them, you cant work with them, you just go around them. Do your best to make sure you are within your legal rights, dot every i, cross every t and measure everything to the nth degree. I am allowed to have a coop that is 25ft off the front of the property and 10 ft off the property line, and guess where it is? I add butryic acid flybags directly upwind of him each time he does something to warrant it. The dog he was abusing over the fence? She died as a result of her time in the pound, so yeah, I bear him a little bit of a grudge.
Just document, and be prepared, and if she turns into an issue, invest in a good surveillance system so you can make sure your critters are safe from sabotage. I have to worry about my psycho neighbor harming my critters, so I have locked gates, a top on my coop, surveillance system, and other neighbors that know the bad neighbor is a problem.

Use the yapping dog as leverage if need be. First, try talking to her and getting to know her *shudder*, then tell her you will be having chikens and would gladly offer her eggs every now and again. if she starts to fuss bring out the dog.
gig.gif
Say well, I will not call the cops everytme your dog barks at nothing and you will not call the cops because my chicken clucked...deal?
wink.png
If she refuses then so be it....if she calls on the chickens...call on her stupid dog because I guarantee that dog will bark more than those chickens will make noise.

Back
Top Bottom