What's the best way to mark eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stitch81, May 31, 2011.

1. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I have 4 different breeds going into the incubator this week. Wanted to know what was the best way to mark them. Are markers/sharpies okay? I'm just thinking a different colored dot for each egg. Or is it best to just use pencil?

2. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I use a pencil to mark a X and O on two sides. Or if they are from my hens I date them.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    If it were me I would use a pencil, and I will tell you why. I recently bought two 1588 GQF's to replace the old ones. In order to see how much water is in the bottom compartment I use a little green food coloring in the water. I put it in by inserting a straw thru the vent hole and using a ketchup dispenser to squirt the colored water down inside. It got away from me one day and the green water spilled on two of the eggs. I had two Creame Bra's hatch with green feathers.

I am convinced now more than ever that light markings with a pencil is better. That eggs is porous and anything you put on the outside gets inside. Sharpies are great but some, like the ones out of China ARE toxic NO matter what the package says. Enjoy your hatch..Now comes the fun part!!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  4. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Quote:Green feathers? Did they stay that way, or did the color fade back to normal?

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I use sharpies and have never had any problems with them. Pencil might work OK in the incubator, but I also have hatched under broodies and you need something that will not rub off under a hen there.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use sharpies with no problems.

@CatDaddyAlbert : Are you sure the chicks didn't dip themselves into the water somehow? I don't think its possible for the chicks to be green just because you spilt a little green water on them.

7. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I use a pencil and mark the date and pen they came from on the side of the shell. I also put the pen i.d. on the bottom so if they break the shell too much on the sides I can still tell what pen they came from

8. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    use pencil. colored pencil is fine if you want to put different colors on different breeds

9. Hi! Sharpie Permanent Markers are safe and effective for marking 'eggs for hatching'.
    As an experiment, I've marked the whole shell with markers and set/hatched eggs and never had and bleed-through to even the inside of the shell, let alone through the membranes.
    Good luck with your hatch!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by