What's the best way to sterilize an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LALADY1101, Jan 27, 2010.

1. LALADY1101

LALADY1101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    I hatched silkies and rouens in the same incubator (at different times) last summer. We cleaned it with bleach and water and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days before putting it in the attic. We're going to be getting some wild waterfowl eggs and I want to make sure that I have a chance at hatching them as they are quite expensive. Any advice as to what I should do?

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would maybe give it a once over with the soap/bleach again, but thats all I do when I clean out the incubators and havent had problems.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Yep, that's all you'll need is a cloth rinsed out in bleach water and then go over it good. Good luck with your waterfowl!

4. LALADY1101

LALADY1101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Thanks for your responses!![​IMG]

5. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I don't know if anyone has tried this before, but I naturally put some GSE in the water pans. I use GSE for everything, so obviously I would for the incubator as well.

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I like the idea of using a solution of bleach and water to sanitize it and then letting it air dry with a little UV exposure for a while.

Bleach kills bad stuff and time and UV rays kill chlorine.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:That's my way too.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I use Oxine, instead of bleach. I use it the same way ... wash it out with soapy water, then rinse in Oxine water and dry in the sun (when there IS sun!) ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by