whats the correct temp to brood chicks

olpoll

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
west cumbria, england, UK
Hello There,
im currently incubating eggs for the first time,
im going to make a brooder for the chicks when they hatch ive also got a 175 watt red heat lamp,
please could someone tell me the correct temperature the chicks should be kept at in the brooder when they first hatch and when to lower the temp as they get older
im new to all this so any info would be grateful

thanks
Olpoll

First order of business-
welcome-byc.gif
and good luck with your hatching!
jumpy.gif

The chicks should be kept at 95 degrees Farenheit for the first week, 90 for the second, 85 for the third, etc. This is the temperature measured at the edge of the heat circle. Make sure that your chicks can get away from the heat--if they are too hot they will pant and might spread their wings to cool, if they are too cold, they will huddle and chirp loudly.

Once they are fully feathered, (10 wks, I think) they can be moved outside if the temps are somewhat stable 60 degrees or higher.

Hope this helps!
frow.gif

Thats great thanks i was thinking of keeping them in the house for a few weeks then putting them in a larger brooder in the shed with a heat lamp its pritty cold over here in the UK at the moment freezing at night and about 5 to 8c through the day
i have 12 hens in a coop outside how long should i wait to put the young hens in with them at night

thanks again

Olpoll

Last edited:
I would like to say there is no SET temperature to brood chicks

You have to have a big enough area that they can regulate thier temperature according to thier needs. 95 F - 5 F each week is just a reference point. If you hatch out 20 chicks all the same breed, from the same hens, they will need a range of temperatures to be healthy. Your best bet is to set up brooder so that heat source is available directly, and your chicks can move away from it depending on how much heat they want. If all your chicks are directly under the heat source, it is too cool. If all your chicks are as far away from heat source as they can get it is too hot. Adjust your heat source accordingly.
old.gif

Quote:
thats the question i was asking? how young or old if you like should they be before i put them in the coop with the older hens?

There is no set age for that either, it is dependent on new and old chicken. It is best to wait till the new ones are close to the same size. If your old hens are bossy/mean you may need to wait longer. If hens are laid back, you may be able to combine them earlier. You should give both sets a chance to SEE each other through fencing etc.... That way they can get used to each other before they can get at each other.

Yep! Everything Marlinchaser said.
P.S. My brood never liked the 90 to 95 degree range. They were more comfortable at the start with a temp around 85 and we went down from there.

Back
Top Bottom