Whats the deal with these children???

Chicken317

Chirping
Feb 3, 2020
These young chickens, the mother is an Isabella Orpington and the father is an unknown mixbreed (black feathers). They don't like pelleted all stock. They stand off to the side while the other children are eating. They will accept it more easily if its soaked in water. They still love to eat chick start and grow. They will eat pellets some. Aside from having poop where the white was often pinkish orange when they were younger, they seem perfectly healthy. They just won't eat the pellets as eagerly as all the others. A younger batch of two from the same pairing are also like this.
I don't recall their mother being like this. Does anyone know what is going on?

It's a change for them, some just don't care for the pellets ... Give them some time to adjust. Feeding All Flock is fine, remember to put a spare dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying. I feed min Flock Raiser from the start, ferment their feed and they get grit in a side dish. Once they start laying I add an extra dish of Oyster Shells, not mixed with feed.

How old are they exactly? They're supposed to eat chicken feed until about 17 weeks, then layer, then you can switch to flock feed once they stock up on calcium.
I don't keep up with age, but the only baby feathers left are on the face

Back
Top Bottom