What's the difference between a Pigeon and Doves?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
As you can tell, I know nothing. :) I absolutely LOVE watching the wild pigeons/doves that hang around and just wondering what the difference is between the two. Also, what kind do you think this is? I got this picture while birding yesterday...

That is a pigeon. Doves are smaller shy usually gray birds with a soft voice.

Last edited:
It took me a good 20-30 minutes to get the dove to stand still long enough for a picture, they always fly away when I go into the hay barn. It is funny though, I can hear them walk around on top of the tin roof and see them poking their heads in to see if I'm still there.
roll.png
I'm trying to think how big it is...

I absolutely LOVE watching the wild pigeons/doves that hang around and just wondering what the difference is between the two. Also, what kind do you think this is? I got this picture while birding yesterday Definitely a rock dove or pigeon....
The difference in my opinion is similar to the comparison of a horse to a donkey. Where the fine line really is drawn I have no facts to back up other than our own experiences.
Ring neck doves for example and the like that coo and do "NOT" vocalize in the same manner as pigeons we refer to as doves (they are usually much smaller and not as muscular as the pigeon).
These so called doves (donkeys) will however breed with pigeons (horses) in captivity the result being mules. However to quote fowlsessed again "As to pigeons and doves, there's no scientific difference, none.
Fanciers on the other hand would dispute scientific findings

Last edited:
Quote:
There is a difference between what our group of fanciers call rock doves and what is typically know as a dove. It is my opinion the word pigeon was derived from select breeding of the wild rock dove. The word pigeon or rock dove are interchangeable The difference in my opinion is similar to the comparison of a horse to a donkey. Where the fine line really is drawn I have no facts to back up other than our own experiences. That being said any bird that is bred to a pigeon that remains fertile we call a pigeon. Any bird that is bred to pigeon that is a mule (or infertile) we call a dove. and to Quote fowlsessed (a person who I engaged in this conversation)," the smaller wilder birds are more often referred to as doves. Ring neck doves for example and the like that coo and do "NOT" vocalize in the same manner as pigeons we refer to as doves (they are usually much smaller and not as muscular as the pigeon). These so called doves (donkeys) will however breed with pigeons (horses) in captivity the result being mules. However to quote fowlsessed again "As to pigeons and doves, there's no scientific difference, none.
Very interesting stuff! I was thinking it was a Rock dove or pigeon...but I wasn't sure.

That is a pigeon. Doves are smaller shy usually gray birds with a soft voice.

Doves come in many colors not just gray.There are a bunch of different species.I had a website with all the dove and pigeon species with pics,but when we got the new computer I didn't copy the websire down and I just can't seem to find it.These are my diamond doves,very small about the size of a parakeet.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom