whats the difference between jungle fowl and regular fowl

mhhx2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
i need some help knowing what are the key differences between a jungle fowl and a regular fowl. they both seem very similar, is one more territorial than the other ... thanks

True Junglefowl are pretty rare, despite what lies hatcheries, etc may say, at least in the USA.

True Red Junglefowl have small, very gamey, refined bodies and a usually moderate to low tail angle. They always come in BBR coloration, I believe they should have white earlobes, small comb/wattles, and bright showy eyes. They are indeed a little more skittish and probably more territorial.

Silver Duckwing Jungle Fowl and Black Breasted Red Jungle Fowl do you guys have any pics of any jungle fowl

True Junglefowl are found only in Asia, and mainly in the Far East or Southeast. Red, Grey, and Green are the main types I know of, though I believe there is a fourth. These birds are small (usually less than 5 pounds for males); have single combs; longer, semi-low-carried tails; and a body carriage/build similar to many Mediterranean breeds like the Leghorn and some gamefowl like the American and Old English games.

One bird, the Saipan "Jungle Fowl", is called a jungle fowl but is actually not. It has Oriental gamefowl ancestry in it and therefore is larger, taller, more erect, and more slender than the small, true junglefowl. It also once lived in the Pacific Island of Saipan but is now extinct there, though very small populations are said to be maintained here in the USA. I have heard it said that the Saipan Jungle Fowl is actually just a result of the Japanese importing many of their Oriental gamefowl to Saipan in the second World War. The Japanese birds mated with native Saipan fowl to produce the modern Saipan. However, this is not known for certain.

Hope that helps!
big_smile.png

There are four types of Jungle fowl. Red, Grey, Green and Ceylon. The Red is the 'wild type' color pattern, or BB Red color. I have raised both Red and Grey JF that were NOT HATCHERY STOCK and being new here if I ever figure out how to add photos I can add some of my birds that I had.

The Reds I had were from one of the very few pure line Reds in the US, the males will go through and eclipse molt (two molts a year) with one in the off season resulting in a black plumage. If they don't do this, they are NOT PURE!!! The female, even in maturity, will have a virtually non-existent comb, even when looking for it.

The Grey is sort of a grizzly barred color in the males and the females have a sort of a silver laced/silver duckwing pattern. These birds will actually fly up and hover and turn over their untended perch to land on, very un-chicken like. The males also have more of a pheasant type honk rather than a real crow.

I haven't raised Green Jungle Fowl b ut I have seen them a couple of times in captivity and they are very unique in that the males red to purplish comb does not really have points but looks more like a curved knife blade and they have a single wattle.

They Ceylon I have never seen in person other than the pictures on the internet.

These are the only four recognized "jungle Fowl" even tough you will hear people refer to other "wild type chickens" as jungle fowl.

Hey Bentley, I was wondering if you have a site or do you sell your red jungle fowl? I wanted to buy a pure blood line but I don't know where to get one. My dad told me that red jungle fowl is so much better than regular fowls because of their voice when they cockle doudledoo and their tail is lower and not just that, their face turns kinda yellow durning the winter and their crowns gets smaller... I wonder if you have the pure breed ones... I'm dying to get a pair really bad and is the kind that you have are the one from Thailand or Laos, From that city or town that is gallus gallus?

Hey Bentley, I was wondering if you have a site or do you sell your red jungle fowl? I wanted to buy a pure blood line but I don't know where to get one. My dad told me that red jungle fowl is so much better than regular fowls because of their voice when they cockle doudledoo and their tail is lower and not just that, their face turns kinda yellow durning the winter and their crowns gets smaller... I wonder if you have the pure breed ones... I'm dying to get a pair really bad and is the kind that you have are the one from Thailand or Laos, From that city or town that is gallus gallus?
Hey would you have any guess on what breed he is? Having hard time finding out. A friend that breeds gamefowls gifted him to me since he doesn’t have much time on his hands anymore and told me to take good care of him but im really curious on what breed he could be. He’s pretty small/short. Maybe smaller than a 2 liter coke bottle but he’s like 1- 2 years old.

Attachments

• C095B677-7A1A-465B-B4CF-011AF0BF521A.jpeg
    C095B677-7A1A-465B-B4CF-011AF0BF521A.jpeg
    868.9 KB · Views: 19
  • B03112F3-6105-4448-9F42-9B9D17189A22.jpeg
    B03112F3-6105-4448-9F42-9B9D17189A22.jpeg
    860.3 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom