What's the difference between Splash, Paint and Mottled?

Splash is a color which is made by breeding two blue chickens together, I believe some of the offspring also become other colors as well. Mottled is a pattern which breeds true because it is homozygous and is recessive. Mottled is a restrictor. Paint, I believe is a hatchery color...forgot what colors they blend for that, BUT I believe it was with one gene of dominant white so that it shows some black leakage, thus making the color splash.

If you're not asking from a genetic standpoint....

Splash is a very light lavender color with dark "splashes" of blue. Mottled is single white feathers distributed over a solid color. Paint I believe is just an expression of dominant white. A white bird with random black patches.

How'd I do @The Moonshiner?

Splash is an off white/very light gray coloring with a varying amount of blue (gray) spots. Blue x blue, blue x splash, and splash x splash all result in splash chicks. It is genetically black with two blue dilution genes (blue is black with one blue dilution gene).

Paint is white with varying amounts of black spots. Black x dominant white, dominant white x paint, black x paint, and paint x paint can all produce paint chicks. It doesn’t breed true, and paint x paint crosses will also result in black and (dominant) white chicks. Genetically paint is heterozygous dominant white and black.

Mottling causes white spots on individual feathers. Mottling can be on any base color/pattern, such as black, blue, buff, red, duckwing, partridge, lacing, etc. It can also be on white, but you just won’t be able to see it. Mottling is a recessive gene. It needs two copies of the gene to express fully. A cross of a mottled chicken and a chicken without any mottling (who doesn’t carry the gene) results in chicks without mottling who carry the gene.

Splash is a color which is made by breeding two blue chickens together, I believe some of the offspring also become other colors as well. Mottled is a pattern which breeds true because it is homozygous and is recessive. Mottled is a restrictor. Paint, I believe is a hatchery color...forgot what colors they blend for that, BUT I believe it was with one gene of dominant white so that it shows some black leakage, thus making the color splash.

If you're not asking from a genetic standpoint....

Splash is a very light lavender color with dark "splashes" of blue. Mottled is single white feathers distributed over a solid color. Paint I believe is just an expression of dominant white. A white bird with random black patches.

How'd I do @The Moonshiner?

Thanks, I was wondering about all of genetics and physical appearance.

Mottled is single white feathers distributed over a solid color.
I know I mentioned it in my other post, but the cool thing about mottling is that it can be on any color/pattern. If you want to see some examples (which are also beautiful chickens), olandsk dwarves are usually mottled gold duckwing and tolbunt polish are mottled gold laced.

I know I mentioned it in my other post, but the cool thing about mottling is that it can be on any color/pattern. If you want to see some examples (which are also beautiful chickens), olandsk dwarves are usually mottled gold duckwing and tolbunt polish are mottled gold laced.
Oh for sure! I honestly tried to simplify it as much as possible. 🤣

Splash is an off white/very light gray coloring with a varying amount of blue (gray) spots. Blue x blue, blue x splash, and splash x splash all result in splash chicks. It is genetically black with two blue dilution genes (blue is black with one blue dilution gene).

Paint is white with varying amounts of black spots. Black x dominant white, dominant white x paint, black x paint, and paint x paint can all produce paint chicks. It doesn’t breed true, and paint x paint crosses will also result in black and (dominant) white chicks. Genetically paint is heterozygous dominant white and black.

Mottling causes white spots on individual feathers. Mottling can be on any base color/pattern, such as black, blue, buff, red, duckwing, partridge, lacing, etc. It can also be on white, but you just won’t be able to see it. Mottling is a recessive gene. It needs two copies of the gene to express fully. A cross of a mottled chicken and a chicken without any mottling (who doesn’t carry the gene) results in chicks without mottling who carry the gene.
1000007594.jpg

So what would I get if I bred this splash EE to a Speckled Sussex. The mottled gene is apparently recessive, so would it be the same as just breeding it to a red hen?

Back
Top Bottom