What's the friendliest chicken breed?

My buff Orpington is definitely my friendliest grown chicken. I can pick her up and carry her, pet her, etc. She seeks out attention. My Speckled Sussex is very bold and will allow me to do all of those things too, except she's temperamental and will peck if she's in the mood. I have an Australorp who is the most insane, flighty chicken I've ever seen. I can't get within 5 feet of her unless she's broody.

I'm raising 15 babies now, for myself and a friend. Friendliest out of those are the welsummers and cream legbars. There are 4 of each breed and 2/4 love to cuddle and can't wait to get attention when I go out. Even the welsummer cockerel is friendly. My olive egger is also very friendly so far. I also have a black/blue/unknown Orpington that acts just like my grown Australorp, which is disappointing.

I want to try some Brahmas next year as I hear they are very nice.

I saw where some mentioned Easter Eggers. Mine are incredibly friendly birds. My Welbars started off skittish and then turned one day into floofy cuddle bugs. Now they come for pets. It's a breed not known for its affection.

I say that to say a chicken known for a lovable disposition can be a total jerk, and a breed known to be skittish and not like snuggles can be your most lovable. Chickens really do have individual personalities. :)

I have 6 chickens that are about a year and a half. My 2 Buff Orpingtons are definitely my most cuddly and friendly. They desperately seek to be held and hugged even over treats. They have very much lived up to their reputation of being the golden retriever of chickens. I have 2 Black Australorps that are also very sweet and chatty (I’ve heard it said that they are a quiet breed)🤣 but these two lightly tweet to me constantly. It’s adorable though. They are super sweet but can be shy at first. You have to earn their trust. One is completely over her shyness and is almost as cuddly as my BO’s the other doesn’t really appreciate being picked up but no long screeches when I do so.haha She also snuggles right in once I have her on my lap. My 2 Easter Eggers on the other hand are friendly- ish but on the flightier side. One used to be my sweetest girl but now is kinda temperamental, and is the only one that as actually tried to peck at me to hurt me. The other is just super crazy flighty but will still hop into my lap from time to time for pets.

Favaucana hands down, she is a faithful layer of 5 to 6 green/blue eggs a week

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1
Swedish flower hens are human friendly but iffy among the flock.
I have two I raised from day old chicks in the mail. Both were so curious about me and always ran to me while I fed and watered them. The one is white with the faintest little smudge marks, hence her name Smudge. She lets me hold her all the time. I cannot wait to see if I got one of the rare white ones that was listed in her description.

I have two I raised from day old chicks in the mail. Both were so curious about me and always ran to me while I fed and watered them. The one is white with the faintest little smudge marks, hence her name Smudge. She lets me hold her all the time. I cannot wait to see if I got one of the rare white ones that was listed in her description.
Hatchery Swedish flower hen? Do you have pictures?

Back
Top Bottom