What's the genetic Phenotype is this chick's down color pattern?

Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, what Phenotype is this chick? If you can tell me Genotype too that'll be great?
20200705_211356.jpg
Parents.
20200621_152412.jpg
0116201424.jpg

From the Parents pic and sibling pic I will describe the possible grand parents genetic make up and the actual parent genetic make up and the chick's genetic make up.

both parents are gold based(s+/s+ for male and s+/- for female) from the looks of the parents in the pic, they seem to be a cross of a gold based cuckoo rooster(most likely cuckoo maran) and a buff Orp hen, the cuckoo marans are Extended black at the e locus(E/E), Buff Orps are wheaten(eWh/eWh) buff orps also cary many Columbian restrictors(like Co and possible Db which stands for dark brown) gold diluters(like Di and Cb), those are the Grand Parents, the parents are E/eWh(pseudo birchen), s+/s+, Co/co+ and sex linked Barring(the dame has only one copy of sex linked barring B/- and the sire only copy of sex linked barring B/b+) When you make the cross you will get Extended Black chicks(E/E 25%) Wheaten Chicks(yellow chicks 25%) and E/eWh chicks(50%) this cross is somewhat sex linked, meaning that if you get a solid dark chick without a headspot you can bet 100% that the chick is a pullet, but she will also have barred sisters, but 100% of the male chicks will be barred/cuckoo(50% will be homozygous barred B/B, and 50% will be heterozygous barred B/b+), the thing is you can't tell the barring on wheaten based chicks(eWh/eWh) at hatch.

The brown looking chick on the picture is a pullet: E/eWh, s+/-, b+/-, most likely Db(for dark brown), when grown she will resemble her mother but without barring perhaps more gold colored, almost black tailed

Last edited:
Both parents are:
Buff Orpington/Barred X Buff Orpington/Australorp.
I can agree with the Sire parent's(Buff Orp male x Barred Rock female), but the dame of those chicks is clearly barred and gold, how is she both barred and gold? Her sire would have to be both barred and gold at the same time and Barred Rocks are Silver and Barred. Since both were gold and barred(the parents of the chicks) I thought there were siblings

Back
Top Bottom